Sunday, July 30, 2006

Half marathon training and ankle problems


I ran last Sunday whilst working away from home. I worked all day saturday, a 12 hour day. I got back to the hotel at 7pm, got changed, picked up my pack and headed out. I ran around the Gosforth area of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, not far from the Airport. The area is pretty flat, which makes a welcome change from running at home. I ran 12 miles in a few minutes under 2 hours. 1:54 I think. I ran the first 8 miles at 10 minute mile pace, and the last 4 at 8-8:30 minute mile pace. I felt comfortable throughout, and had no problem picking up the pace for the last few miles.

I took Tuesday and Wednesday off running, as I've developed a problem with my left ankle. I mentioned it in a previous post. I think it's an old injury which is coming back to haunt me, now my weekly mileage has increased. I did a pace run on Thursday though. It was pretty warm, but I set a goal and stuck to it. I did 7 miles at 8:30 minute mile pace. I was pretty spent after it though. The first half of the run is steady downbank, the way back is all up!

On Saturday, rather than walking a long distance I went to see a physio. It looks like it's one of the 3 ligaments on the outside of my left ankle bone that's the problem. Possibly an old strain that has come back with a vengence. Walking around with no shoes on is pretty painful, i'm wincing a little with every step. The physio got his fingers right in and worked it. It really hurt I can tell you. After that he did about 10 minutes of ultrasound to promote healing. He's given me some strengthening exercises to do and booked me in for a double session in two weeks time. That is the day before the Newark half marathon.

On that subject I decided to do a trial run of that today. I picked a very dull route, running along the A34 dual carriageway down to Trentham Gardens and back home. According to the map the route was 13.3 miles. My GPS battery failed 3 miles into the run, so I had to guess my pace for the other 10 miles. I also ran 15 minutes in a torrential downpour, soaked to the bone. The sun came out afterwards and dried me on the way back. Other than the start and finish, the route is predominantly flat. This was the idea, as I know that the Newark is a flat course. Given my performance on Thursday completing 7 miles at 8:30 pace, but feeling spent, I decided to run at 9:00 minute mile pace. This went well until the GPS battery failed of course. After that I had to guess my pace, and estimate time markers. I did a pretty good job as it turned out. With 3 miles to go, I picked up the pace a little. I felt pretty comfortable for the whole run up until the last 2 miles. Then, I think I hit the wall. It's never happened to me before, but I really started to struggle. I was really drained, out of energy, increased heart rate and breathing. I even started getting pins and needles in my left leg and arm. I think I had just ran out of fuel. I struggled on, typically the steepest back of the run happened just after this hit which made it a double blow.

However, I took control of my breathing and bought myself home, even managing a last quarter mile speed increase. I completed the 13.3 miles in 1:57:50. Which by my reckoning is around 8:55 minute miles. Given the circumstances I was pretty happy. I forgot to say, it was all my own fault. I ran about 5pm and I'd forgotten to eat any lunch. So I was surviving all day on a breakfast that I ate at 10am. Also, I only took 1 litre of water with me, not electrolyte as usual. That also ran out 2 miles before the end. So, I have only myself to blame but I won't make that mistake again!

I've only plotted the 6.6 miles on the map above, as I ran the identical route back. Fairly flat, although gets tougher at the end as you can see. In fact, I guess it's steady uphil the whole way back.

I won't run as far next Sunday, as it's the event the week after, so this is my last long run until that. Using what I've learned I will try and aim for a time between 9:00 and 8:45 minute miles. The weather could be a factor though, as it was been the hottest day of the year on a couple of previous occassion during the Newark run I have read! Now I understand why they have 8 feeding stations in just 13 miles!

I will keep icing and exercising my ankle this week and see how I feel for running each day. I'm working in Wales Mon-Wed, then Scotland on Fri, so I'm going to be pressed for time to train although I will doubtless manage to run on Tues and Thurs.

Catch up next week.

No comments: