Monday, September 11, 2006

24 Mile hill walk, plus London Journey









I've had a busy week. I went to physio on tuesday and experienced some pain as my tight muscles were worked. I was given some stretched to do which I have been doing after each run. My left hamstring/quad has (had) eased and the leg strength had improved. I've had my gf help me with assisted streches and she has noticed the strength improve. My trainer at the gym said the same.

Last Sunday I did 11 miles whiles whilst working in Swansea. In the week I did a mix of interval training and marathon pace work; Tuesday I did 10 mins jog, 25 mins intervals, 10 mins jog. Wednesday I was working away and could not train. Thursday I did a 6 mile pretty hilly route. Half road and half trail. I stuck to a strict 9 minute mile pace. Friday I did intervals again, similar to Tuesday.

On Saturday I took part in another Long Distance Walker associated event. It was a 24 mile event titled "Hills and Dales" in the Derbyshire peak district. It started from Hish Ash field study centre near the Roaches (Leek) and travelled up to Flash, Three Shires Head, Gradbach, the Roaches, The Rock Inn, The Mermaid, Butterton, then back up to High Ash. I set off at a slightly slower pace that I did the last LDWA walk at (I walked at 3.4mph). There were less fast walkers in this event and I believe I was only perhaps the 3rd walker to finish. There were some tough hills (a few thousand feet of climbs); an 800ft climb over 2 miles to Roach End at 1600ft was the biggest gain. I didn't have any problems on the walk with my legs at all and finished in a time of 6:44. I didn't rush at all and could have finished much faster if I had wanted to.

The event was very well organised with 170 people taking part. Each checkpoint was manned by friendly volunteers. I made sure I stayed to chat for 5 mins at each checkpoint. There was food and liquid at each checkpoint too! After the event there was a meal included as well. Such good value for £6. Most people paid a little more and also left a donation as the walk was for the Children of Chernobyl charity. I'll definately enter it again next year. Photo's along the way above.

I had picked up a couple of small blisters were I had not taped up the tips of my toes (big lesson learned there!) and was naturally feeling some tightness in my legs. However, my day was not yet over. I drove the 25 miles home, grabbed a quick shower, threw my kit into my rucksack and then was dropped off at the train station. I caught the train down to London Euston, Underground to Vauxhall, then another train to Kingston Upon Thames. I arrived at around 8pm and wandered the streets until I located the travelodge (Hotel from hell).

I checked in, got a quick and unusually unhealthy bite to eat. I wanted to eat fast and sleep and so had pizza. Still, once in a while won't kill me! I was in bed for 10pm only to be woken at around 11pm by the people in the room above tramping around like elephants. I didn't get back to sleep until almost 2am as the pubs closed, drunk assholes came back to the hotel, shouting down the corridoors and knocking on peoples doors. The elephants above still tramped around until I got out of bed a threw one of my trainers at the ceiling at about 60mph. Things went quieter after that. I got more sleep, still woken now and again and late arrivals. I slept in late, until 9am to try and recover. In the morning I has bags under my eyes and looked pretty tired. Looking forward to a hot shower I went into the bathroom only to find that there was no shower attachment...

I then noticed grab handles and bars all around the bathroom. They'd put me in a disabled persons room, and not advised me. I wasn't very happy. Too late to do anything about it, I just washed, shaved and went down to reception. I told the receptionist I was not happy. He couldn't give a toss and just nodded. I'll email Travelodge today and see if they are inclined to refund any of the £70 they charged me for that hell-hole.

I walked the mile distance to the Hawker sports centre and to the 2:09 events New York Marathon information day. I'll put a new post in for this, see next.

No comments: