Sunday, August 05, 2007

LDWA Dovedale Dipper.

Well, after the midweek update I posted, I did improve a little, but still woke up this morning with a sore throat and definitely didn't feel 100%. However, I judged I was well enough and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to do the event because of the weather. It was forecast a sunny day with temperatures 28C+, and it didn't disappoint.

[I did this event again in August 2008. See the end of this post for the result]

I loaded up my pack a little more than usual, virtually tipping the balance at 8kg. I thought, it's going to be hot, so let’s try and make this even more difficult for myself! I drove to Hartington, about a 50 minute drive and arrived about 9:30am. I was shocked to see how many cars were in the car park (read: farmer’s field). The walkers on the 26 mile route had left at 9am, and the walkers on the shorter route (I think it was 15 miles?) left at 9:30am. I went to the village hall to registered and was took back by the amount of runners. It was obviously a very popular event. There were loads of club runners, all in their T-shirts etc. I'd estimate about 100 runners. It turns out I was the last person to register, I was number 396, so I guess that's how many were doing the event in total, either walking or running.

I had taken along my PDA and loaded up the map, but forgotten to load the route itself! So, I just put it in my rucksack and picked up a route description. I had printed myself a map of the route on a 50K ordnance survey map, so I wasn't totally without direction. I did have a proper Ordnance Survey map too in case of emergency. However, the route was so well marked I hardly had to refer to the written instructions. Most of the time I could follow either runners, or later in the route pick off walkers as I ran. The route is shown below. I have also marked on the locations of the 6 checkpoints. They were all very well staffed and organised; full marks to the organisers of the event.



The horn went off at 10am and we were off. Of course no one else was stupid enough to be carrying a 8kg rucksack, so I settled myself in at the very back and kept a conservative pace of between 5 and 5.5mph initially. The route is a steady climb over farmland for the first 7 miles. I knew from the hill profile what to expect, but it was perhaps a little more draining that I had thought. As always I seem to find the first 5 miles a bit of an effort. My calves burn and I’m a little short of breath. Then after 5 miles, it all magically goes away. I took this photo at about the 6-7 mile mark



This one is taken from the same spot, looking back. You can a couple of the 100 marathon team; one shirt-off already in the heat!



I stopped very briefly at checkpoint 1(CP1) just to get a refill of my water bottle and then I was off again. I'd already picked off a few runners this early, which surprised me to be honest carrying the weight I was. I had also had to explain to a few runners, who asked, why I was carrying a big pack!

Nice views over the area.



There is a nice long downhill section after 7 miles for about a mile and a half. This was very welcome and I was well settled into the run at this point. There was a short sharp climb just before CP2 which was in the village of Longnor for those familiar with the area. The route continued a steady downhill and I picked off more runners and then there was a steady climb to CP3 at 12 miles. I was pleased to run up that hill (a long slow gradient that most runners walked), something I would not have tackled even a few months ago. Up to CP3 I had pretty much run all the way, apart from a few very short sharp climbs where I would be wasting the effort. At CP3 I saw Steph, a 2009 MDS competitor (Her blog is in my list of links). She told me she was doing the event and I stopped for 5-10 mins to say hello and chat. Nice to meet you Steph! I then refilled my bottle, and at this point poured in my electrolyte. I knew that so far the route had been straightforward and the tough stuff was yet to come.

So, I left CP3 which still left quite a climb. I continued to run it, and all the way down to the foot of Ecton Hill at the 15 mile mark. Now, I had seen this hill on a 3D simulation of the course and it looked steep! As I got closer I took these photos.

That's Ecton Hill in the distance.



This one doesn't do it justice, but I still had a way to descend into the valley before starting the ascent.



I stood at the bottom, and I can say that IT WAS VERY STEEP! The first section especially. I had been catching up walkers from about 6 miles onwards, and the ones up the hill were literally taking a few steps and then setting down! I unpacked my secret weapons, my Leki Trekking Poles. After a bit of ‘faffing around’ to get the pole length right I started my ascent. Needless to say I was walking. Absolutely no one would even attempt to run up it I doubt. I just put my head down, set my breathing to 2 steps breath in, 2 steps breath out and held that rhythm. I passed plenty of people, mostly sat down, as I climbed. A few people had one or two poles, but not that many. I think those that didn't cast envious glances. They definitely helped me on this ascent. At the top, I slipped my poles (still extended as I knew what was coming next) under my arm and descended the hill to the foot of the next.

I ran with the poles (takes some practice) for the first few hundred metres of the next ascent. It was much less steep that Ecton Hill, but did get steeper later, forcing a walk again. That hill is shown in the next photo.



I was running more or less with a few other runners. They all had a T-Shirt with the 100 marathon club on it. Not sure what that meant, but maybe they'd all done 100 marathons eh? Now, not reading the route instructions really as we approached CP4, I asked one of the runners. Is this supposed to be the 18.3 mile CP? They said yes. I said but it's a mile and half early. We've only done 17! I was cheered on a little as I thought the route might be shorter in reality. Little did I know that CP4 was 16.8 miles. I had mistaken it for CP5, which I assumed was CP6! The route between what was CP4 and CP5 was very difficult to run all of. The path was cut into the side of a hill and was very narrow indeed. It was to treacherous to run parts of. Still, a little walking was welcome as the day was indeed very hot. I took this photo along that path.



Sorry, not more photo's after that. I had apparently accidentally been phoning people whilst the phone was packed away. People could hear me running. I also must have left the camera on because my battery drained too.

I had been taking on lots of fluid, but still I was feeling a little rough; light headache and feeling hot. After CP5 (which I thought at the time was CP6 still) there was one last tough climb. I was still using my poles on the uphill’s, which helped but I was beginning to tire a little at this point, about the 20 mile mark.

After that hill, I packed away my poles knowing they would just get in the way. I would suffer the last big hill at the end (mile 25) unaided. I ran down and onto the valley floor where much to my surprise there was CP6 for real. I was gutted. I thought I only had about 2-3 miles to go. I didn't, I had 5-6. I took a drink and I think I started to crash. I felt rough. I took off my pack and sat on the floor for about 30 seconds. I then got up and grabbed a few handfuls of crisps from the CP to get some salt back in me. I also braved a bucket of water over the head which seemed to be a right of passage for that CP! A combination of all of those brought me back round, and I was off again. I had pretty much eaten all of my snacks (M&Ms, banana chips and cashew nuts), but had forgotten all about my Pepperami. If I would have had one earlier I would have been better. These have plenty of salt and fairly easy to get down with some water.

I did set off from CP6 at a run, but slowed to a walk at about 22 miles as I felt rough again. I decided that I should play it safe and do a half mile run, half mile walk for the next couple of miles. The next few miles are more or less flat; a very slight incline. The run/walk strategy seemed to work, and though I still felt ropey I managed to run ok. The bottom of my back was aching, around my kidneys. I think this was the weight of the full water bottles I was for ballast, and also the heat build-up. This added to my general feeling of ‘ropeynes’s! The flat(ish) section seemed to drag on for a little and I can honesty say I was pleased to see the final climb out. I tackled the hill without any problems at all, but I did walk it to the top. At the top there was about a mile of undulating tarmac lane to negotiate. I shuffled along a little, but my back ached. I undid one shoulder clip and rested my rucksack on just one shoulder to try and give my left kidney area some relief.

I passed quite a few more walkers, some of whom I think were on the 9:30 15 mile event! Another runner caught me up. I was glad because I was a bit unsure of the direction, having seen a sign for Hartington a few hundred metres back. He confirmed I was going the right way and we shuffled on together to the finish.

I finished in 6 hours 34 I think. I did stop for a chat with Steph though, so I guess just under 6:30 discounting that [I did it 5:05 in 2008]. I have no idea where I finished, position wise; certainly in the latter end of the runners, but by no means at the back. I sat down, thankfully dropping my rucksack to the floor. I was given a lemon drink which I went and poured salt in. I think the people at the counter thought I was a bit strange, but I figured I needed it. It tasted vile, as you can imagine.

I heard than one runner had collapsed a few minutes after he got back. I only caught a snatch of the conversation though, so I don't know what happened to him. I did see a few other runner casulaties propped up on chairs at the various checkpoints. It was obviously the heat and running too fast for the conditions that got to them. I'm sure most will have carried on after a short rest. At the finish there was a meal included, a baked potato I think. However, I didn't much feel like it so I made a fairly quick exit and drove home. My headache was worse on the way back, even after drinking my (very warm: been in the car boot all day) Rego recovery drink. I went back to my parent’s house, because my Mum was babysitting my son. My mum looked after me (ahhh, thanks Mum!). I had a headache tablet, some crisps, some ice cream and some chocolate. Oh, and a nice cold flannel for my head. One or all of those worked, because I'm pretty much fine now.

Well, I got my wish today; a hot and difficult run. About 1250m of relief in the 26.3m (that's what I got on my GPS) course, but it felt like more, especially the energy-sapping Ecton Hill. I ran all but the steepest climbs, including that 2 mile incline around CP3. That was an achievement, but I think I paid for it later on in the run where I felt rough at 22 miles. The heat was also a factor, and it was quite humid too. The heat didn't actually bother me as much as I expected it to, but I think it did take its toll on me. I averaged 4mph. This is what I had anticipated I would do, so it was a success under the conditions, and the heavier pack weight. I'm pleased that although it was hot I was mostly OK, and when I did feel rough I recognised the fact and took the time to slow down, or stop for a minute. It's going to be a whole lot hotter in the desert, so this kind of experience is invaluable. It's pushing yourself beyond your limits in the desert that puts you in a bad way/coma, as seems to happen to a few people every year!

My knees were a little sore a couple of hours ago, but they feel a little better now. I think I need to order a new pair of trainers, because I was getting that pins and needles numb feeling in my foot at some points in the race. I take this as a sign that my shoes are on their way out; the cushioning gone. These have done not far off 350 miles which is when I would look to swap them. I have been carrying more weight too.

More good news is my hamstring did not play up at all. So, taking that time out to rest has worked. Hopefully totally normal service will be resumed this week.

It’s 9:45pm, and I am now starving. I’m off to raid the fridge.

Have a good week!

EDIT [I did this event again in 2008. I arrived late, setting off 50 minutes later than the other runners. I completed it in 5:05 (the organisers have me down as 5:09. I went to the loo after registering late, so they must have started the clock before I went!!). Either way it's a huge improvement on 2007, an hour and a half faster. This time I only carried a 2kg pack, and not a 8kg one like last year mind you. 5.1mph average, and I lost some time with GPS problems or I would have completed it at least 5 minutes faster for a 5 hour finish]

No comments: