Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Round Rotherham

Subtitle: Saved by the Godfather.

If you read my previous blog post you'll know that I decided to turn this event into a full dress rehearsal for the MDS long day. In the end, by the time I had added walking poles (which I didn't use at all), my PDA's, phone (these are not going to the MDS of course) and a few other bits and pieces, the pack was just short of 7kg. I drove to Sheffield on Friday night and stayed at my uncle's house. I got up at 5:30am and ate my MDS breakfast, which was not far off 1000Kcal. I drove to Wath upon Dearne and registered ready for the 7am start. There were a lot of runners there, and the walkers had set off an hour earlier. I won't know the actual number of starters sure until they post the full results, but they had around 280 people registered and 15 dropped out in advance. It's probably reasonably safe to assume somewhere in the region of 250 started I guess. I said hello to a couple of friends from La Trans Aq in June; Anne and Vaughan. Both superb runners, who were looking for a sub 9 hour finish this year (they did in 8:55, well done you two!).

I had seen the weather forecast (wet and cold) and was wearing my Raidlight winter gear; thick, lined, runner tights and long sleeve top with polar neck. I wore a warm hat, but had decided on my woollen running gloves instead of my big heavy wind stopper ones. The reason for this is that my hands usually warm up fast and I lack dexterity to use my PDA/GPS with big gloves on. I wore a Pertex ultra-lightweight windproof jacket over the top. I had a waterproof jacket packed in my rucksack, but decided against taking an extra fleece and additional thermal base layer, thinking what I was wearing was already over the top (you can see the punch line coming already can't you).

Can I just apologise for there being no photos. You will know by now my event reports are usually littered with pictures. I took a couple; one of which was a nice shot of dawn, but it didn't come out. The other picture just wasn't interesting enough to post. The weather wasn't camera-phone friendly.

The route is shown below along with the hill profile. You can see it's not that hilly, varying between 50ft and 480ft. Memory Map indicates it has 3140ft of ascent, someone on the Fell Runners Association website says his Garmin logged it at 52 miles (I think that is too much; maybe 51 at the most) and 8500ft of climbing, which I assume means around 4250ft of ascent. I suspect the actual amount is somewhere in between, but either way, no serious steep hills, just long drawn out gradients at times.



We set off in the dark at 7am, head torches lit. Everyone dashed off like scalded cats, leaving me running on my own after just 100yrds. A guy was filming the start a few hundred metres away, and he had stopped filming what he thought was the last person by the time I went past! I ran at what I felt was my most efficient pace with that weight pack, which when I checked my GPS was around 4.8mph. I can just gauge now what pace I will be able to maintain, almost running with the most minimal effort to conserve energy. I was after all not exactly a competitor with my pack, complete with sleeping bag and roll mat slung underneath!

Within a few minutes I had lost sight of everyone, leaving me alone in the darkness pondering the 50 miles ahead. For the first 10 miles, up to checkpoint 1, the route was either on good quality paths, or pavement beside the road. I guess it would have been about 8 or 9 miles in when I started to catch a few people up. It's hard to tell who is a runner and who is a walker as in winter most are dressed the same. Just on approach to CP1 I caught up 4 people who were actually running; two of which were wearing Raidlight gear, and one of whom had a Raidlight pack. At the CP one of them introduced himself to me a member of the www.themds.co.uk forum. The chap with the Raidlight pack was his friend and a veteran of the 2007 MDS. I ran with these people for the next 5 or 6 miles, chatting away about the MDS. We all were being sensible and walking any ascent. We all knew the importance of running our own race and so we drifted apart in various directions on the way to checkpoint 2, around mile 17.

It was already getting colder, but the rain started and by the time I reached CP2 my windproof jacket was wet and crying out to be changed before the rain soaked through. I took it off and put on my full waterproof jacket, and pulled up the hood over my hat; just my eyes exposed. Up to that point my pace had been steady and sensible and averaged about 4.7mph. Rather annoyingly, at the CP, the brand new batteries I bought for my speed/distance Timex GPS had run out, just 3.5 hours old; Thanks for that Ever Ready; serves me right for not buying Duracell (12 hours life usually)! So I was now without the ability to know how many miles I had done, or how fast I was going. Not knowing how far I had gone was probably a blessing in disguise, so I wasn't slowly watching the miles tick up, but not knowing how fast I was going was very annoying and screwed with my game plan. I would just have to be extra careful to ensure I took it easy. I had not spent much time at CP1, perhaps 5 minutes, and not much more at CP2, so it was all going well and on track for what I hoped would be a 4mph average 12.5 hour finish.

The Yorkshire weather had other plans for me though. The rain at CP2 got worse and the wind picked up, giving a sub zero wind-chill. The forecast had said -2, but it felt colder to everyone out there. After CP2 the terrain got more difficult, made more challenging by the rain plus wet weather over the last few days. We crossed lots of ploughed fields with footpaths through the middle. This kind of mud cakes to my feet and gives me lead boots. You have to get to the other side of the fields, stop, and wipe it all off. All of the open farmland meant that the wind cut right through you and I felt seriously cold, chilled to the bone. I needed more layers but had none. I wasn't sure I could continue without more clothes. I arrived at checkpoint 3, at 25 miles, which was mercifully an indoor checkpoint (the last two were outdoor). It was overcrowded and people were quitting there and then because of the cold. Some were woefully under prepared with no waterproof or even windproof clothes. One young guy was in a T-Shirt and tracksuit trousers; needless to say he quit.

I sat down trying to get some warmth back inside me. My woollen gloves were soaked through, and even though I had then started running with them inside the sleeves of my waterproof jacket, my hands were frozen. I had to get one of the helpers at the checkpoint to unclip my rucksack as my hands would not work! My feet had been wet for miles and damage was starting. I tried to apply tape but it would not stick to my wet feet. I managed to get some to stay, but not enough in the areas I really needed it. I had eaten just my Peperami until then, around 15 miles, and was only at 25 beginning to feel hungry. So, I guess my 1000kcal breakfast worked well. I ate 100g (half) of my cashew nuts. Physically I felt fine, no tiredness, just cold. I spent about 20 minutes at that CP sorting myself out and heating myself up. By the time I left my leg muscles had cooled down and this made me feel even colder as I began the next leg of the race, to CP4.

The weather didn't let up; if anything it got worse. Everyone was cold, wet and miserable. I caught two of the 'Raidlight people' and soon after was caught up by a chap called Jamie who I had passed walking with a group of his friends at mile 14. His friends had all abandoned at CP3, leaving him alone. He is in training for The Bob Graham Round next year. Google it, if you don't know what it is, and be impressed. We both ran together to CP4, at mile 30. I did not realise, but CP4 was the 'drop bag location' where everyone had a bag ready which could include anything; a change of clothes, socks, shoes and waterproofs, food etc. I had not read about this, but in truth would not have made use of the facility anyway. There are no drop bags in the sand dunes in Morocco! So, the lucky ones put on new clothes and I looked on enviously.

I got a phone call from my uncle whilst at the CP. He happened to be fairly nearby on his way back from work and said he'd drop and give me some moral support. I gave him directions and waited for his arrival. I had said before the event I wanted only to eat the food I packed. However, I was so cold, I had already resigned myself to some hot tea and extra food to offset the calories required for me to heat myself. My uncle arrived and produced a hot chocolate! I didn't last very long, and went down very well indeed. He had also bought me a sandwich which I ate as well.

I explained how cold I was and that I doubted if I could manage without more clothes. He said he thought he had a fleece in his boot. The word 'Fleece' sounded like 'you've won an all expenses trip to the Seychelles' at this point in time. He went to his car and retrieved it. He had to take off my rucksack due to my useless hands'. In fact he basically dressed me because I could not grip a zip either. I looked at my gloves and said 'I think I have some gloves in the car too', which sounded like 'Oh, and you get £1000 spending money in the Seychelles too' to my ears. He came back with a full on, big thick pair of ski gloves and helped me into them. It must have been like dressing a doll with my useless fingers. Jamie joked that he could do with wiping my nose for me as well. I was too grateful to feel silly.

Now, I felt like I was dressed for the next 20 miles. I could not thank my Uncle enough. He's my Godfather incidentally, in case you wondered about the blog post subtitle.

I had spent about half an hour at that CP in total; so already an hour lost at CP's, mainly getting warm. My average speed plan was in tatters, but in the end I just wanted to finish.

Me and Jamie set off from CP4 and soon turned into yet another endless muddy field crossing. I swear If I never see another muddy field again it will be too soon. We ran, walked, waded, slipped and slided our way across these fields at all sorts of paces; mostly slowly! After a couple of miles I got indigestion, due to running after the sandwiches (serves me right!) and was forced to walk for a while, Jamie ran off ahead. I caught up to a 67 year old guy who was walking in his 16th Round Rotherham, and a veteran of nineteen 100 milers. Hats off to him, hope I am capable of the same at that age. I walked with his group until CP 5(he obviously knew the way well of course, so I could ease off my navigation). At CP5 (about 35 miles maybe) I had to swap my PDA battery for a fresh one and as a result spent 10 minutes there; once again left on my own as the others left.

It was dark by now, so I fitted my head torch on again and set off. You guessed it over another extended field crossing. Physically I felt good, but the water bottle across my chest had started to give me some abdominal pain around the 35 mile mark. I could live with it for the time being (but ended up moving the bottle to my backpack at 40 miles), so I set off at a run and caught up the veteran walker and his party. I passed them and soon after caught up Jamie and the two people he was now with, Ian and Michelle, just before CP6 at 40 miles. By this stage the weather had improved. The rain had stopped, the wind was lower and it felt much warmer. I was still feeling remarkably good at this point. Yes things were aching, and I knew I had blisters, but I felt as though the end was in sight. We all made a very brief stop at the CP for refreshment, a few minutes maybe, then headed straight off. All 4 of us were first timers to the RR50. Initially we ran/walked in our pairs (me and Jamie, Ian and Michelle), leap-frogging each other every mile until about the 45 mile stage where I think we all decided we'd just get each other through the race and stick together. It was dark, and four people navigation and giving moral support was excellent. The terrain was still grim; just more muddy fields, which none of us were happy about. Muddy fields in the dark aren’t easy to run or walk on, even with head torches. By this stage there was very little in the way of running going on anyway.

We all arrived together at the final CP, 7, at 47 miles and had a welcome cup of hot tea. We maybe spent almost 10 minutes there and set off walking. Could I have mustered a run? At a push, probably, but there was nothing to be gained at this stage. I was more than happy to walk with these three nice people I'd met and chat the final few miles away. I was tired and I wondered if my feet lay in ruins within my sodden wet shoes. Despite the promise of 'good paths' for the last 3 miles, by the people at CP, they were still fairly muddy! We all got to the finish and thanked each other for the support. It had taken me well over an hour outside my estimate, taking me 13:45 in total. I've now found out 254 people started. I came in 156. In total 209 people finished, and 45 people abandonded.

I dropped my rucksack to the ground and sat on a chair gratefully. I took off my shoes, but not my socks fearing the worst. I hobbled over and got a tray of shepherds pie, mushy peas and gravy which I shovelled into my mouth at pace. Big thanks to all the organisers and caterers for the event. Everyone at the checkpoints deserves big thanks, especially the outdoor ones!

I sat and chatted to a few people for about half an hour, picked up my gear and hobbled over to the car, got changed and drove home arriving about 11pm. I took off my socks, fearing the worst, but my feet looked in remarkably good condition. I have two very small blisters on the side of toes on my left foot, and none whatsoever on my right foot. Underneath the ball of my left foot is sore where I had tried to apply tape. I think some dirt had stuck to the residue of the tape and rubbed it by the looks of it; that's what was causing me a lot of discomfort in that foot. My right ankle had been painful for the last 8 miles and it was not much of a surprise to see that there was some swelling there. I filed and moisturised my feet, as has become an almost nightly routine for me now.

I had seized up during the drive home and thought I would never be able to walk the following day. I took an ibuprofen and went to bed. I slept for 10.5 hours. Today, well I'm not up to running, but I can walk. I have a few aches a pains, and my quads are a little stiff. My ankle really isn't too bad now either. I got off pretty easy I think.

The event and my performance: It was another 'character builder'. You have highs and lows in long events. You feel rough as anything one mile, then perfectly fine a mile later. You feel like quitting but you keep putting one foot in front of the other and carry on. Eventually the finish line finds you. I have now done the 'MDS long day' distance with the same pack weight I will have for the evnt itself. I suffered with the cold here, I will suffer with the heat there. I slipped, slided and cursed through mud here, and I will do the same through sand there. I hope today was an accurate comparison, in terms of the mental determination, required to finish the MDS long stage.

Now the best punch line: Here I am cursing the weather and terrain for my performance. The overall winner completed in 6:17, just 4 seconds off the all-time course record, and over an hour ahead of everyone else.

I am a Liliputian, looking up at Brobdingnagians.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing job Rich. You should be very proud.

William

Steph Cooke said...

Great result Rich, you must be pleased with your level of fitness. It's no joke struggling through mile after mile of wet, muddy terrain, but like you say it builds mental as well as physical toughness and the will to keep going no matter what.

Thanks for the pointers on the banana chips, going to look out for them as they sound ideal desert fodder!

Nick Summers said...

Great running Rich, the conditions sound very, very tough indeed. I'll be using the Thames Path Ultra (50 miler) as my dress rehearsal for the MdS, will we see you there in 2008?

Rich said...

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Nick I am doing more than likely doing the Thames Meander in February, which looks to be identical to the TPU that yo are doing; same course etc. The Meander just fits nicely with other events that I am doing early next year. I am up in the Lake District doing a very hilly LDWA event just 6 days after the date for the TPU, so I think it would be a little risky to enter both. After the Meander in Feb it will be pretty much a month-long gradual taper to the big one in Morocco.