Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Hebden

I got a terrible nights sleep on Friday night. It's psychological thing. I know I have an event and I have to be up very early (5:30am), so I struggle to drop off. Any other time and I drop off no problems. This was worse than usual. I dropped off after 2am, didn't sleep well but was woken by the alarm at 5:30. I had a porrage breakfast with bananas, and put all my pre-prepared gear in the car. I had packed just over 8kg in my rucksack. I drove to Mytholmroyd, just outside Hebden Bridge and parked in the very busy car park. I had only registered for the event the night before and it was wise I did, because they had overbooked and were actually turning people away who had turned up! I had arrived in plenty of time ensuring a stress free 45 mins before the race (lesson learned from previous events!). Rather than take it back to the car, I crammed a jumper I was wearing into my pack, so the pack will have been around 8.5kg. Just before the start a previous MDS finisher, Alan, recognised me and introduced me to another MDS vet James. I chatted to them as we all wandered outside. By the time I got out it appeared everyone was already off, and there were 300 people in front of me, a great deal of which were walkers.

The actual route is shown below, along with the hill profile, and my speed profile.



I had researched this route well. I knew where all the hills were, long many miles they lasted, and so basically knew when to walk or run and how quickly. I had even watched the route through on a 3D simulation in memory map, so I had good visual picture of the route in my mind. I knew that the first mile was more of less the only flat that there would be all day so I could have a good run at it. However, not knowing the actual terrain I had made an error. Firstly all 300 people had to filter down single file in two or three places to pass barriers to prevent bicycles through. All the runners had dashed off from the front and were well on their way. I just had to stand still and patiently wait my turn. Once over the bridge the mile long path was narrow and with walkers, many using sticks, it was hard to pass. I didn't make much ground when the flat was over and we turned and headed sharply up hill. The path was just as narrow, but muddy and slippy. Being quite steep anyway, I didn't overtake I just walked steadily up in single file like everyone else. All of this lost me quite a lot of time, and it wasn't until the path widened at the top of the hill that I could start to run and move past most of the walkers.

The paths and terrain were more or less what I expected, fairly muddy (very muddy in places) and slippy. A lot of the downhill sections were very slippy, littered with stones, so not a lot of time could be regained from that lost on the slow ascent. I could tell this was going to be a slow event already. The first checkpoint I simply gave in my number, and carried on (I didn't pause at any CP for more than 30 secs all day). I didn't need any water and I wasn't having any of the food. That CP was almost at the top of the second climb. It was followed by a welcome, but picky descent and a fairly level, but gently undulating section along a riverbank. I was getting stomach pain from the full 1.5l bottle in my front pack. I found that one of the clips was not fastened, securing it to my side. I fastened it and assumed that would resolve the issue. We crossed the river and doubled back on our bearing climbing steadily up the CP2 at slack. At this CP I filled my water and added my only electrolyte for the day. Admittedly I did have two jelly babies and a chunk of chocolate at this CP; they looked so good. Apart from that I had no other food at CPs.

To be honest I can't recall specifically where I took this photo, but you get the idea of the countryside. This was a nice path I had just come up I think.



I had not taken any photos early on in the route as it was wet and miserable, but thankfully cleared up and stayed dry for the rest of the day.

After CP2 there was another smaller climb and then a descent I had seen on the 3D run through. It looks like a good mile of steady descent, and opportunity to pick up the pace. It didn't really work out thought because the path was very narrow and fairly steep on one side, so you had to watch your footing. It got better towards the end though. I breezed through CP3 without stopping, still having plenty of water.

I knew that after CP3 there was the longest climb of the day ahead, roughly 3 miles long and gaining about 900ft in the process.

I took this shot just after CP3, looking back.



The long climb was up a reasonably good path for 90% of the way, only deteriorating in the last 1/4 mile as it headed onto moorland. I took this shot about half way up the climb looking across to the Stoodley Pike Monument, which our route passed by about 1/4 mile to its left side.



At the top the ground almost levelled out for a half mile (very gradual incline) on the open moorland, before a steady descent. Navigation was very tricky and I was using GPS. I would imagine quite a few people struggled on that section. Eventually I located the path that headed sharply down into woodland and then along a nice runnable path through to CP4. I was running on my own with no one in sight for quite a while now. All of the fast people were well ahead, and I had overtaken all of the walkers and passed some runners too. Just after CP4 there was another long climb. My stomach pain was getting worse and I realised why. The 1.5l mineral water bottle that I had across my front pack (I usually attach a smart tube and drink, but today I was just using it to weight the pack down) was full. I usually run with it half empty, with 750ml in the drink bottle on my shoulder strap. I emptied out 750ml and immediately this took away the pain. Important lesson learned for me there. Do not run with a full water bottle across the abdomen, it hurts!

Looking back to the moorland section where I had just descended from.



The path up the CP5 was in woodland and very muddy. I had long ago given up trying to walk around mud and puddles and just waded through the middle now. My feet were soaked through and rubbing in a few places, but nothing serious. I started to see a few runners ahead on the ascent and caught and passed a couple. I chatted to one chap and stayed with him to the CP. Once again I just passed straight through and said my goodbyes. I knew that I was now almost at the top of the final major climb. I was feeling very fresh and not tired at all. This was mainly down to me walking more than normal because of the steep climbs and weighty pack. I had also been topping up my calories with salted cashew nuts and staying well hydrated. I had topped up my water, diluting further what was left of the electrolyte.

I decided that I would really pick up the pace and try and get to the finish with 6 hours. If you look back at my speed profile you will see that from 17-22 miles is the fastest I ran all day. I really went quickly heading down the hills rapidly and overtaking a lot of tired runners in the process. I think I got past about 15 people in the last few miles. CP6 was just a guy in a car ticking off your number. I assume he was there to ensure no one short-cutted to the finish when I look back at the map now. The final 1.5 mile after that was again all downhill and I made good time. I came back into the town and caught up another 5 people just before the end. However, I stopped just behind the last guy deliberately and said "Nearly there!". He said "You are not going to overtake me after all that way are you?". "Of course not I said, I wouldn't be so cruel!". I wouldn't have either; I wouldn't have liked it happening to me! We all finished at the same time: 5 hours and 50 minutes. 22 miles and 4600ft of ascent [I did the event again in 2009 in exactly 5 hours, carrying a cartilage tear in my knee, so I'm clearly capable of a better time when fully fit]. I only managed a 3.7mph average but it was good training with all the hills and mud, which I equate to sand dunes! I came in 77 out of 207 starters, but some were walkers remember. It's not easy to tell from the results list because not all runners have "runner" next to their name. I know for a fact that virtually all the 15 people listed just after me (in the results list) were running but just 4 are listed as runners! In fact there are only 6 "runners" shown after my position. I think in reality this was more like 30! I guess it makes your "walking" time look impressive, sneaky beggars!

The catering at the checkpoints looked to have been excellent, even though I didn't have any. However, there was a bit of a delay with the meals at the end as they didn't have enough oven space to cook all the jacket potatoes! Oops. Still I enjoyed it when it arrived, and the apple crumble afterwards was superb. Well done organisers and helpers!

I set off home about 40 mins after finishing and arrived home just before 4pm. I had really enjoyed the event. I was expecting the hills and mud, so it held very few surprises; just the slow start and picky descents. I had a lot left in the tank at the end and it was the first time on an LDWA event where 20 odd miles just seemed normal now. Because I am training up to that distance every single weekend now, my body expects it I guess. I was pleased at how it went and knew I would be able to do the following days' planned 12 mile without issue.

Sunday however, didn't go entirely to plan. After taking my son out in the morning I turned up at my parents’ house unannounced just before 2pm expecting free babysitting for a few hours. No one was home and I didn't like to call them, so I just sat and waited inside. My mother arrived at 4pm which is when I was able to set off. I had planned a route which took me into Swynnerton old forest for 5 miles. This time of year it is getting dark by 4pm. I knew this and my mother thought I was nuts. How was I going to see where I was going? I'll be fine I said.

I took this photo just before going into the forest, so you can see how dark it was already. If you click on it and look closely you can just about make out a path heading into the trees. Sorry it's so blurry, but I couldn't hold it still enough for the slower shutter speed I guess!



My mother was of course right. The carrot-fairy had not in fact bestowed me with the gift of owl-like night vision, so a mile or so into the wood it was pitch black and I couldn't see much at all. I had to use peripheral vision just to be able to make out a path. I could not see obstacles, mud, water or anything else. This slowed me but I did manage to run. I had run this path about 10 times in the past, so I knew which paths to take when I reached a crossroads, but even I second-guessed myself a few times. After 5 miles I emerged from the wood onto the road. I had another 1/2 mile of wood which I was not concerned about, but afterwards were two 1/2 mile sections of very fast and busy road. I didn't have my reflective gear with me (I wear this in the week as I travel very short distances on road to reach trails). I decided it would be too dangerous to take the planned route and so started to head back along the dark country road towards the main road. I crossed over when cars came as I was wearing black, head to toe, and the pack only has small reflectors. Oh, I forgot to say I was wearing the same weight pack from the previous day. I had however not packed any food or electrolyte.

I got back to the lit main road and ran along the footpath. I had slowed for obstacles, but not had to walk (other than to skirt bogs and mud) so far but I was already nearing empty in fuel. My tummy was rumbling and I wasn't sure how far I had travelled exactly. I now had to decide whether to head home and probably only cover 7 or 8 miles, or make up a route on the fly sticking to the well lit footpaths and roads. Despite passing within 1/2 a mile of my parents’ house I knew I would be going out for longer. I had planned 12, so I would have to try and guess a route to take me to that. I knew that would mean that I would run out of energy and likely hit the wall. I had enough plain water to keep me going, but nothing of any calorific value. I headed down towards Trentham Gardens and then along the A34 into Newcastle-under-Lyme. I tried to use grass beside the footpath where available, but mostly it was tarmac, so hard underfoot with trail shoes on. I went into Lyme Valley, a park which runs parallel to the A34 into Newcastle. This meant grassy paths for a mile or so, but I did slip and hit the ground quite hard on an unlit section. I decided no damage done, and picked myself up and carried on.

It had been raining for the last few miles and getting heavier. I hadn't paid it much attention until my arms felt cold and wet. I had paired up my one remaining Windstopper glove (after the loss of the other in Tenerife) with another older model Windstopper gloves (whose twin I had lost a few months earlier). These as I know are not waterproof and were once again wet through, just as happened in Tenerife. This time however, I was prepared. I stopped under the shelter of a Homebase store in Newcastle and took off my waterproof jacket. It is no longer waterproof I now know as I was wet inside. I changed my gloves for my new Super-warm and waterproof Gore-Tex ones and put on my extra fleece I was carrying to warm back up. I phoned my mother and asked her to put me some dinner on, and have some sugar ready for me! I had hit empty and was feeling pretty rough as my body was switching over to burn off fat instead of sugar.

I put my hat back on, and my (not very) waterproof hood up and headed up the hill for the last 2 miles home. I still ran 95% of the route, despite feeling pretty terrible. I got back and my Mum was waiting by the door with a sugared-tea and a chocolate mini-roll, plus the added bonus of a waiting hot bath. I wolfed down the food and drink and had a bath. I was still feeling terrible though. I had a big Sunday roast meal, then some carrot-cake (still I can't say my night vision has improved in the last few hours) but if anything felt worse. I worked out the distance on Memory Map. I had done just over 14 miles in just under 3 hours. OK, no record time, but the same weight pack as yeserday, 1400ft of ascent and in the dark and rain. I had only drunk about 1 litre of plain water, so I must have been more dehydrated than I thought. I took on more liquid, salt and sugar and had a lie down for half an hour. My electrolyte balance restored and my head cleared. I headed home and put my fast asleep son to bed. I'm straight off to bed myself now too.

63 miles this week and plenty of tough miles amongst them. It's scaled back mileage for a recovery week next week, which I am looking forward to!

Have a good week!

2 comments:

Lloyd Biddell said...

Thanks for the message on my blog, yep my mileage is quite high at the moment but I'm not race sharp so dont know how fast I am at the moment. Could have done with a half so I could gauge where I am. I'll then reduce the milage back to the base 50 after the mara.

Having read you blog frequently the one thing I was wondering was what you intend to do once the MdS is over - it would be a shame to lose your fitness and perhaps more importantly your enthusiasm for ultra's etc? I'd be interested to hear whether you have given it any thought. It would also be interesting to see whether your views on this matter change before and after the MdS?

I have to say that I'm in the doldrums at the moment regarding the MdS. For a couple of months now I just dont feel enthusiastic about the thing any more no matter how hard I try (its almost as if I dont care). I'm sure the experience will be worth it, but what with other things going on at the moment I'm no longer looking forward to it. I suppose its also part down to me becoming so focused on the marathon at the moment that I see running a good marathon time just as important as finshing the MdS.

One of these days we'll have to do a meet since we live in the same county!

Rich said...

What do I intend to do when the MDS is over? I just don't know. This event has utterly consumed my entire life for 2 years. Everything I do and eat revolves around this. I have absolutely zero social life. I just wake, work, train, eat and sleep. My only goal has always been the complete the MDS, and all the events before have been just a means to that end. I don't know If I will be hanging up my running shoes for good or not yet. We'll see after the MDS. I do need some kind of a life back!

I only managed to stay enthused about the MDS by taking on lots of event. Now in your final year to your MDS you can do the same. After your marathon you can focus on ultra's, a 40 first perhaps, then 50 or a multi-day event. Line a few up during the year and you won't get bored. Plus the next year will just fly by, trust me.