Sunday, September 09, 2007

Hills & Dales and Accident & Emergency

My Apex laptops review (www.apexlaptops.co.uk) (PDA - bodged repair story) is a few paragraphs down. Worth reading if you are thinking of using them.

I've had a good weeks training, at least until yesterday (more of that later).

On Tuesday and Friday I did core stability and strength work in the gym as usual. On Wednesday I did a tough session of almost 6.5 miles. What made it tough was that I combined intervals and hill rep intervals into the same session. I ran the first mile, and then stopped for a full stretching routine as usual. Then I ran the remainder of the session at 3 mins pace, 2 mins jog. However, about 2.5 miles into the route I stopped at the base of a hill in Apedale country park and did 4 reps. The hill takes abour 1 minute and 45 seconds to climb at pace. You can see the heart rate and pace profile below.

Following the hill reps I made my way back doing the standard interval pattern of 3/2.

On Thursday I did an 8 mile endurance session. I typically run these trail routes around 9 minute mile pace, so it's fairly easy, but given the terrain and hills usually involved can still be demanding.

After Thursday session I experienced hip pain, the likes of which I get a few weeks before an ITB problem. It almost acts as a warning sign. So on Friday, I booked in to see a sports massage therapist as I suspected that my back was the cause of my problems (it usually is). He massaged my back for half an hour and mobilized it with a few satisfying clicks and crunches. It certainly felt better afterwards, but I still had an odd sensation in my legs. Almost like a numbness running through the bone? As I say, hard to explain!

I made a decision (probably not my best) to run the LDWA 21 mile Hills and Dales the following day, despite the problems. Every runner hates to miss training sessions, let alone an event. I decided to only pack a 5kg pack, instead of 8kg (a better decision) so as not to load up my back too much. I travelled the half hour journey into the Peak District, through Leek to Ash Field Study Centre near Longnor. The walkers had left at 8am, which left about 20 runners for the 9am start. The route should have been 21 miles.




I started at the back of the runners (my customary position) and set off. All the runners seemed pretty capable and rapidly left me plodding along at my typical pack bearing pace, which is about 5.5mph on the flat, and obviously much less on steep climbs. About 2 miles into the route, half way up the second serious ascent, I glanced left and 2 runners were climbing the hill on the opposite side of the valley. They had made a pretty severe navigational error. They then stopped, looked over and started their descent from almost the top of the that hill. Poor guys I thought. I only saw one of them again later when he passed me just before checkpoint(CP) 1, just before I took these photo's.






I'd made a decision to not stop at checkpoints and not to eat any of the supplied food either. I will probably continue with this strategy from now on too. I do this because they are not going to have trays of sandwiches, cakes and biscuits laid out in the desert at each CP.

Because I did not stop at CP1 and CP2 I did manage to catch up half a dozen runners, as they had 'cake-stopped'. However, they soon passed me again. I should say the route between CP1 and CP2 (Black Dale) was treacherous underfoot. If it would have been raining, it would have been dangerous. I slipped badly just once, but got away with just a grazed hand and bruised ego. This photo was just entering Black Dale, where the footing was still good, but you start to see the rock piles than littered the path later on.



This photo is blurry, sorry, but you can just about see the rocks in the grass. There were also sections of larger slippy boulders where I went over.



After CP2 we joined the Monsall Trail, an old railway line as seen below.



We went along this trail through various tunnels, some a hundred yards or more in length. Then the trail was blocked by a huge door across what used to be a tunnel. I assume it was unsafe and so closed. We had to descent some stone stairs down to the river below, and then follow its path through into Millers Dale. At the foot of these stairs, if I would have read the route description, or looked at my GPS I would have turned right. However, I didn't. I turned left, I assume beguiled by the pretty surroundings!


So, I ran on trotting over these too.



I ran on for more than a mile. Then recalled I was expecting the river to double back on itself, but it hadn't. I looked down at my new PDA.

A word about that. I damaged two of my PDA's and sent them off for repair ro a company called Apex Laptops, based in Rochester. I did search for a review of Apex Laptops but could not find one. They promised me a 5 day turn around of any repair. Let me state here and now that I have never dealt with such a thoroughly dishonest company who have told me lie after lie and do business in a fraudulent manner. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy. I heard nothing for over 2 weeks. They ignored phone calls, and ignored emails. They then said they had been 'moving offices'. This also appears to have been a lie since 2 months later their adress is still the same as the one I originally sent the PDA's too.
They phoned up one day asking to be paid, and had not even quoted me for the work. This is fraudulent. They returned a PDA which had not been tested and was still faulty. Three weeks later (I write this edit mid October now) and once more they have ignored emails and calls. They tried to get more money for a repair, which of course I refused as they had never fixed the PDA correctly in the first place. I demanded a refund, and the return of my PDA in it's original broken state. That was two weeks ago, and I have threatened them with the local trading standards. They promised to refund and return the PDA, another week has passed. I would advise never ever deal with this cowboy firm of liars who operate their business in a such a shoddy and dishonest manner. They have no redeeming features. I will happily pass on all mine and their correspondance and evidence to any potential customers who wish to see the depth of their deceipt. Just email me for the information, assuming trading standards haven't already shut them down! Now, rant over, back to the story.

It showed I had doubled back on myself?? I assumed that because I was in a ravine the GPS was getting a reflection and giving a bad position. I was so convinced this was the case that I ran on. I approached some walkers and said "Have a bunch of runners come past?" They said "No, are you on the Hills and Dales route? Haven't you already passed us?" Yes, I had, I recognised them now. They had decided to take the low river path, whereas I and most others had taken the Monsall Trail railway path a hundred yards straight up. If they had not been coming this way and stopped me, I would have carried on for another mile before realising. As it was I had gone 1.5 miles in the wrong direction. I thanked them and ran back, soon correcting 2 other walkers who had done exactly the same as me!

I reached the stairs and realised my mistake and ran on. Notice below the river is now on my right and not my left!



In my haste to catch up I missed the next turn and added yet more onto the route! Eventually I back-tracked and reached CP3. I paused for a few minutes whilst I mixed up my one and only electrolyte and got some cashew nuts and banana chips down me. The next section crossed a long railway bridge above the river, as seen below.


Next was that very steep climb shown around the 14 mile marker on the elevation profile. This was quite a climb, partially up earth and stone steps, before emerging onto a plateau and fields and great views.



Between 16 and 21 miles was excellent running on gravel paths or green lane. Despite losing time earlier, I felt good and knew I was running well, enjoying the descent which I ran far too fast and with a little too much abandon, considering the terrain. I think reading the exploits of champion fell runners in 'Feet in the Clouds' book that I have been loaned was to blame for this!
Still I descended in one piece and then ascended the next very steep climb before the village Longnor with ease, at a fast march. I barely paused at the final checkpoint, just topping up some water (then later discarding most) to finish the final 2.5 miles. The last section had a few short sharp ascents, some on road, before the last mile over marshland. I could not really run at pace through this section because of the terrain and had plenty left in the tank when I finished.

I finished in 5 hours 18. I had covered 24.6 miles and 4200ft of ascent. That is an average of 4.7mph. That is probably the fastest I have ever covered that distance with a pack in that kind of terrain. I am very pleased with that performance. There was a great meal supplied at the end and lots of friendly people to chat to.

Hills and Dales is a superbly organised event. All the checkpoints were well stocked, each with a different selection of food. The meals and drinks at the end were excellent, served by some of the most cheerful volunteers you are likely to encounter. I cannot speak highly enough of the event. It is run for the Chernobyl Children’s Charity. I highly recommend this event to everyone.

I finished my meal, said my goodbyes and went back to the car. I took off my trail shoes and put in my everyday 'comfy shoes, a pair of Nike Free trainers. They are like slippers, for those who have not had the pleasure. Whilst driving home I got a sudden onset of pain in my right foot. It got so bad that I took off my shoe and had to accelerate with my big toe. Not the safest of things to do in my car.
I made it home, but could bear no weight on my foot. I unloaded the car by hopping!
I ran a bath and had to get in 'bum-first' because I could not take the weight at all. The water didn't soothe the pain, which got so bad I felt sick. It was tender to touch on the top towards the outside end of my foot too. I iced it, but nothing would take the pain away. Yet, there was no obvious swelling. I also lost the ability to claw my three outside toes. After an hour I decided to get it checked out at A&E. After the inevitable 4 hour wait and eventual x-ray, the doctor could not see a clean break but said he suspected a stress fracture of the 4th metatarsal. He said that stress fractures are hard to see on an x-ray until they begin to heal, weeks later. He said not to drive (no way I could have anyway) and gave me crutches. He advised to rest, raise and ice it, and come back in 2 weeks if it was still the same.

My parents picked me up from A&E and took me back to their house where they had been looking after my son. We both stayed there. I slept badly, woken every time I turned and disturbed my foot.

I did a bit of research and discovered that a stress fracture would mean 6-8 weeks of inactivity. The only sure way to confirm it would be an MRI. I phoned up my Uncle, a well respected chiropractor for his advice. He did some over-the-phone tests, getting me to perform various manoeuvres and explain the symptoms. He doubts the diagnosis of a stress fracture and suspects either a dropped metatarsal head, or a sciatic nerve problem. I am getting pins and needles in my foot and leg whilst doing these manoeuvres, which he concludes is related to my back and various nerves.
He advised ibuprofen and to ice my back, not just my foot.

I have done so this evening and regained some of the feeling in my foot, and am able to claw my outside toes a little more than before. My foot has however swelled slightly this evening despite feeling better than it did. I am going to see my uncle tomorrow night and Tuesday for a diagnosis. If he suspects a fracture he will send me for an MRI on Tuesday morning to confirm. If not then he will be able to manipulate my foot and back with a view to me being able to run again in 2 weeks.

I am inclined to believe and hope my Uncle is right, and that it's not a stress fracture. 8 weeks out would be devastating at this stage. My back is always at the root of many of my niggling injuries, so I just hope it is this time. 2 weeks is bad enough!

Fingers crossed for me, and I'll post up more information when I know it; probably on Tuesday night.

No comments: