Monday, February 19, 2007

Beacon Bash



On Sunday I took part in my planned LDWA (Long Distance Walkers Association) event, The Beacon Bash, near Wigan. It is a 21 mile event with approximately 2200ft of ascent. I had entered as a runner, but the day before I got an email from Alan Silcock. Alan entered the 2006 Marathon des Sables but had to retire through injury on day 2. He is going back for the 2007 MDS in 5 weeks. He is very busy cramming in a lot of last minute training as he had to take 2 months off around Christmas after having an operation to remove his appendix. He is also walking this years’ MDS, and not running at all. He decided to come along to the Beacon Bash, so I said I'd walk with him instead of running.

We arrived to the event late, as Alan’s alarm clock hadn't gone off, so we set off about half an hour after everyone else. I was carrying my Raidlight rucksack, but this time I had the front pack attachment on too. This I filled with nibbles, some cashew nuts, dried bananas, dried cranberries, and M&M peanuts. I also carried 1 x 800 ml bottle of SIS Go electrolyte on the front shoulder strap. The pack weighed in at 4kg. I also packed my new Leki carbon trekking poles. They are considerably lighter than the poles I borrowed over the last 6 weeks. Alan was carrying about 9kg in his training pack. He's been training with 12kg but is tapering off the weight to avoid injury in the last few weeks.

We set off at about 3.8 mph for the first couple of miles, mostly along flat paths and canal towpaths. Soon after, and at various points in the route, the terrain was very muddy indeed. This slowed us down and we averaged 3.2mph average, but that does include the checkpoint pauses.

We reached CP1 just before 4 miles, and then descended into the village of Parbold before climbing back up to CP2 and to the top of Harrock Hill. I had an adjustment to my orthotics last week, and at around 6-8 mile stage my right knee and shin was a little sore. I knew this was due to the orthotic change. However, despite being a dull ache it didn't really bother me too much for the remainder of the event. We reached the Appley Bridge CP3, which was housed at a community centre, and took 10 minutes out for a toilet stop, and a bit of refuelling. As always at LDWA events, the catering was excellent with tea, coffee, and snacks available at most CPs. I had finished almost over 800ml of my electrolyte by this point, and had just topped it up with water at CP2, so I opened a new packet of SIS go and made up another 800ml.

I took the decision at this point to use my trekking poles for the remaining 10 miles, as I wanted to get some practice in as well as give myself a more thorough workout. I had found it easy going up to this point, as there had been less ascent that on previous events I had attended in the last few weeks, plus I was walking of course. We set off from CP3, and then ascended through some incredibly muddy terrain to CP4. I forgot to mention that is was a lovely day, bright blue skies and sunshine. We could not have asked for better conditions.




After CP4, we descent a few hundred feet and then ascended again into Beacon Country park to CP5. We completed the ascent, just after CP5, to Ashurst Beacon (hence the name of the event).



I took this short video from the top to show off the panoramic views.



I really enjoyed using the walking poles on this event. I was using them Nordic Walking style; angling them backwards and using them to push off. These types are poles are not really designed for it, but you can do it just not as effectively. Alan said I was walking faster with them, so I slowed down a little as Alan was carrying more weight than me and would be going at a more steady pace in the MDS and furnace climate in 5 weeks time. We completed the last 3 miles and enjoyed some hot food and drink at the end. I can’t stress enough what excellent hospitality and great value for money at all LDWA events.

As mentioned, my right shin and knee was a little sore, but apart from that I was fine. No blisters, so the x-socks I am trialing performed well. Oh, I forgot to mention I was using my road running shoes as my trail shoes are heading to the rubbish bin, new ones arrive on Wednesday. I had slipped and ‘slided’ around a little, but they performed OK all in all. Alan was a little tired towards the end, understandable after having carried 9kg all the way round, plus it had been a while since he had done a 20 miler he said. After the food we were both feeling fine. Alan has got a 24 miler and a 26 miler in the next 2 weeks! His backpack had rubbed as well, but this was his training pack. Hopefully he'll get fewer problems with that when he switches to his Raidlight pack next week. We'd chatted about the MDS for much of the course, and I picked up plenty of tips and good advice for the desert next year. I dropped Alan home on the way back, and had an early night (8pm) after my dinner and Rego Nocte recovery drink. However, I'm writing this at 6am, after waking up at 4am bright as a button! I'll have to wear myself out today, and stay up later to get myself back in synch.

So, the Beacon Bash was a success. I found it too easy to be honest. This was of course because I walked and also because it only had a couple of thousand feet of ascent. Still, I am pleasantly surprised that I can take 20 miles in my stride now. We averaged 3.2 mph, and the course took us about 6:47.

Next months (March 18th) 'Spring in Lakeland' event will be a different kettle of fish. It is a 22 mile event but with 5300ft of ascent, and I running again this time! I have seen some 3D profiles of the terrain and it's much steeper that anything I have done before. It will certainly prove a considerable challenge.

What did I learn today? My refuelling with SIS Go electrolyte and constant nibbling on those snacks meant I didn't feel tired, or get any muscle cramps at all. The x-socks performed well, but more testing is needed with my proper trail shoes. The walking poles performed very well and provided a more total workout for my arms and back; I really think they will boost my fitness further. I think it will take my body a few weeks to adjust to the orthotics change, and then the new aches and pains should hopefully go away. I can always have a further adjustment made if not.

Finally, the best news: no problems whatsoever from my foot or ankle, so normal service is resumed this week. I am back on track with my training schedule, although I may not jump right back into the middle of it. I may do some slightly shorter routes for a week or two as I don't want to tempt injury again.

Catch up with you next week.

No comments: