Sunday, August 06, 2006

Busy week and Gastric ills!

I was working away until Wednesday this week. Packed up my running kit and took it along with the plan of running on Tuesday evening. I worked in Cardiff on Monday, then Swansea on Tuesday. Imagine my horrow when I realised I'd left a bag containg my trainers at the hotel in Cardiff, when I was getting ready to run in Swansea.

The bag contained my NewBalance 1060's with £150 orthotics installed, plus a pair of Nike Free's, that I drive and do the odd short run in. So over £250 of kit. I phoned up the hotel to be told that housekeeping had gone home for the day at 3 o clock, and would be back in at 7am.

I phoned the following morning at 07:01! By good fortune they had been handed in. I had left them in reception whilst checking out. I picked them up on my way back home on Wednesday night.

On Thursday I ran 6.5 miles at pace. I set out to run as quickly as I could manage, and hoped for 8:30 minute miles. Half the route was off-road through Apedale country park. I have ran this route before but some months ago. I was running at 8:11 minute miles when the path became almost inpassable due to head-high ferns. I waded through and began a hilly woodland climb section but already my time had gone down to 9:11 minute miles, in only one mile.

I emerged from the woodland and back onto a solid packed path, then eventually onto tarmac for the last 2 miles. I managed to claw back some time to get the minute mile time down to 8:47. I was happy with that.

Friday I completed my usual session in the Gym, mostly free weights. Nothing excessive as I'm not built like a tank. I'm currently around 10St 4 ounces, down from almost 11st since January.

On Friday night my girlfriend started to complain of stomach pain and sickness and went to bed. I went to bed an hour or so later, and immediately started to feel the same. A horrible gurgling and churning in the stomach. She was actually sick, but I managed to keep my food down. I'd not slept a wink then at 3am hit on the idea of milk. I had a glass of milk and within half an hour it settled down. I got a 3 hours sleep, but woke just after 6am with the same problem. I drank more milk and again it settled down, but I didn't manage any more sleep. I dragged myself out of bed around 9:45 even though I was just lying there and not sleeping. I went to the chemist and bought some Pepto-bismol. £2.99 for 4 doses! It helped but I certainly did not feel like doing my usual Saturday long walk.

By Sunday morning I was feeling fine, and in the afternoon I did a 10 mile run. I followed the Canal from Scholar Green to Congleton and then back. I set out to run 9 minute miles and did that almost exactly, 8:57 to be precise. Just under an hour and a half for the whole run. This time is shorter than planned becuase of next Sundays Newark Half Marathon on the 13th August 06.

This week I intend to taper to some degree, with short and lower intensity runs, plus plenty of pasta of course. Hopefully i'll crack the 2 hour mark in next Sundays event. Fingers crossed for me, i'll let you know how I got on.

No comments: