Sunday, November 25, 2007

Back2back 20

This week has gone well. My ankle is better, thanks for the well wishes. As I mentioned in my midweek update I went to the gym on Tuesday and did 1/2 hour on the bike in stead of running, after the ankle sprain last Saturday. On Wednesday evening I did 9 miles no problem too, as mentioned. On Thursday I did a 7.5 mile interval / hill interval trail session. I always do a 10 minute warm up followed by 3 mins fast, then 2 slow; and repeat. Half way through the session I did 4 repetitions of a hill that takes around 2 minutes to climb. This is always a tough session, intervals always are, but hills mixed in just makes it even more tiring. Add darkness and cold into the mix and these are not sessions to enjoy, more to endure. Friday’s strength and stability session went well, as always On Saturday and Sunday I had my back2back 20 penned it; 20 miles each day. This was to be a (not so gentle) reminder of what multi-day effort was like. I planned my first route on Friday evening. The route would take me from my home up to my usual first port of call and local viewpoint, the Wedgwood monument, then down into Audley, Miles Green, Halmer End, Heighley, Wrinehill, Bridgemere, Woore, Onnely, Madeley, Keele, Butterton, and finally Clayton to my parents house. I realise none of those names will mean anything to you, but it makes me feel better typing them all!

The route is shown below, as is the hill and actual speed profile.


There is around 1700ft of ascent (but it feels like more), but actually a couple of hundred feet more of descent (though it doesn’t feel like it!). It’s quite cool in the day now. I wore my running tights, an under armour Metal T-shirt, lightweight windproof jacket, hat and gloves. I packed a 5kg pack and 100g of cashew nuts in addition to 40g of SIS go electrolyte to mix up half way around. The first 5 miles was familiar territory for me, and so was the last 4, but in between it was all new. Sure I’ve visited all of the places, but the obscure footpaths between them I have never trodden before. I got fairly lucky on Saturday with the paths, most but not all were good, and I could maintain a reasonable pace.



Below: I took this photo looking back. Not all paths I had picked were so great. Needless to say I enjoyed wet feet throughout the day.



I started to get a little tired around 12 miles, probably earlier than I normally would expect, and I wondered if I had lost a little fitness. However, I saw that I was maintaining just over a 5mph average so I could not complain. After a sharp hill that slowed me to barely a slow walk, picking the pace back up was hard. At 19 miles I was really quite tired and had run out of nuts and my entire electrolyte. I glanced at my watch and knew that I would have to run every step of the next mile at 5mph if I was to maintain that average over 20 miles. What I didn’t factor in, was that there were some hills in the way, albeit on tarmac. I pushed myself to maintain pace, and really ran myself out and hit the 20 mile mark. Below you can see the result at that stage (Average Speed, time taken, distance travelled).



44 seconds to spare... I had worn myself out and with no food left It took me 13 minutes to do the final mile to my destination, making 21 miles total. I had forgotten my recovery drink so I raided my mother’s cupboard and fridge for sugar, as my blood sugar was low. I gorged on biscuits, cakes and apple juice like some kind of crazed bulimic for 10 minutes, before I could raise the energy to shower. I felt better 15 minutes later. Ok, so one day down, one to go. I had a SIS Rego Nocte night recovery drink and went to bed

The following day I planned a route from my parents to my sons other grandparents, as I had agreed to fix their computer and then get a lift back home. The route and hill profile is shown, but I had not fully charged the PDA battery so I had to use it sporadically, hence no speed profile.



I had to pack a change of clothes into the rucksack, so it came out heavier at 6kg, just to make my life that little bit harder. Once again I packed 100g of nuts and 40g of electrolyte.

I only knew the first 3 miles of Sunday’s route, and the last mile. Everything else was new. I had just picked paths off a map with no idea of the terrain. There was actually a couple of hundred feet less ascent that Saturday, but would I pay the price in overall terrain. The first few miles into Swynnerton old forest were plain sailing and enjoyable but after that and for the rest of the entire run, the terrain was miserable. I got my first taste at 5 miles.



I had just come through that. There was no way around; waded through shin-deep water. Just what you don’t want early in a run; sodden wet and heavy feet.


Next I went crossing two extended farmland areas, where the farmers had put electric fence across the footpaths in many places. The only way under was to lie down and roll under. I had to do this about 10 times. I was furious. This is illegal, needless to say. If I would have had bolt cutters, I would have cut every single one down, I swear. Now, wet feet and wet all over, the misery continued going through deep mud, deeply rutted fields, more marshes and liquid silage. My overall pace was destroyed by this terrain, I was walking way more often than I wanted or needed to. Below is one of the better paths I had.



I made the turn for home at around 12 miles up a sharp and nasty hill, which I sensibly walked, passing this curious cave on the way. Not the warmest house I'd have thought.



I was feeling good at 14 miles, but started to feel rough at 15 miles when I had to cross more fields of clay-like mud. The mud caked to my shoes, making them a couple of pounds in weight each; like running with lead boots. The terrain picked up in the last few miles; mostly road of good field crossings as shown below.



The last 1.5 miles were on the road. I'd say I ran 80% of that, now fatigued from the effort of the horrible terrain. As a result of that, and the extra weight probably, I only managed a 4.5mph average for the distance, which turned out to be just over 19.5 miles (route planning in the country is never an exact science, but I had done 21 the day before, so all is even!). I wasn't quite so tired as the day before, less energy spent I guess, so a cup of tea and biscuit revived me. I fixed their PC and got a lift back to my parents’ house and a welcome Sunday roast (thanks mum!). Shame she won't be waiting at the end of each stage of the MDS with a Sunday roast.

So, I managed it, a back2back 20. I'm a little weary, my knees are sore, so are my ankles, but I'm ok. Could I do it again tomorrow? Yes, you know I probably could.
I'd like to say that I enjoyed it, but I didn't. 80% of the time it felt cold, wet and miserable. The terrain got me down and it wasn't nice. At the same time, that is the reason these were good sessions. I felt miserable, I wanted to just go home, but I didn't. I carried on trudging through and finished both. I need more character building miserable training runs, to prepare me for the depths of despair I will face in Morocco!

I did feel tired at the end of each day though. In two weeks time I will have to do 50 in one day. Armed with the knowledge of how much effort I expended in the last couple of days, at each pace, I will have to be careful to pace myself. I will certainly be more than happy if I can maintain 4mph over 50 miles, and I will definitely build in walking breaks. It is important for me to finish the event, and whatever pace; just for the morale boost.

I'm going to soak my weary muscles in the bath and have another Rego Nocte now.

Enjoy your week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice one. Good luck with Rotherham.