Sunday, July 09, 2006

Important Milestone


Today I sucessfully completed a 15 mile run for the first time! In fact that's the longest distance I've ran or walked. Map above - all the hard work at the end, as you can see. The route doesn't look quite 15 miles on the map legend, because the corners at cut by the route track. The actual run was though

I'm very pleased with how it went generally. After reading a few tips from Runners World magazine I ran the first 11.5 miles at easy pace, which is 6mph, or 10 minute miles. My heart rate averages about 138 at this pace, which is just what I want. After that I ran the last 3.5 miles (or last 25%) at full marathon race-day pace, which is 9 minute mile. I actually probably ran it a little quicker than that, but it's difficult to tell as the GPS speed jumps around a little.

Stats are as follows:

Total Distance:15 Miles
Total Time: 2:27:23
Average Speed: 6mph
Average Pace: 9:52 minute miles
Average Heart: 142

The only issue, which takes away some of the satisfaction, is that I appear to have picked up some kind of ankle injury. Well, actually two! I have had minor pain on the top of my left foot running down to the left of the outside ankle bone for quite some time. I think this dates back to last September. I can't remember how I injured it, but I then went for a weekend break to Amsterdam the next day and had to walk around a lot. The pain got so bad, I had to catch a cab back and spend the rest of the weekend in the hotel. Since then, every morning my ankle 'cracks' when I get up and the first few steps out of bed are quite painful. I gradually walk it off and it goes away. More recentley the pain hasn't been going away, but I only really get pain when I am barefoot, so it's not affecting my running.

Today I started my run and almost straight away I felt a slight pain on the right ankle this time! The pain is on the inside of the leg this time, running down the back of the inside ankle bone. I can honestly say I felt a twinge for every single step of the 15 miles. I thought it would anesthetise itself after a few miles but no. It gradually got worse, especially on hills, and became quite acute in the last 3 miles. I managed to run through it and finish, but I'm now hobbling around the house. I have had my feet up for the last 4 hours, icing both ankles in alternation every 20 minutes.

This coming week is a consolodation week fortunately, so mileage drops. However, I have decided that I will not run at all this week and try and stay off my feet as much as possible. Very wise I'm sure you will agree.

It does however but a challenge walk I have entered next Saturday in doubt. I joined the Long Distance Walkers Association about 2 months ago. This Saturday I'm taking place in the Ludlow Challenge walk, it is a 25 miles route. This is much further than I have ever walked, but it is a walk, and it's not a race. There are checkpoints and food served along the way, and at the end too. All this for just £10! Anyway, I'll see how my ankles feel this week and make a decision on Friday. I'd really like to do this, as I know I can manage the distance, and 25 miles would be another fantastic milestone to hit.

I did a 9 mile walk yesterday. A little short, but I was pressed for time. I made up by completing it at a rapid pace; 4.2mph to be precise, which is a very fast walk indeed over that terrain.

On Tuesday I ran 6.5 miles at easy pace. Wednesday I did 25 minutes worth if intervals, after a 10 minute warm up. On Thursday I did a 7 mile tempo run. I wanted to run at 8:45 minute miles, but the temperature was so hot (29C) I averaged 8:55. The idea with the tempo run is to increase my speed for the Newark Half Marathon in August. I'd like to run it at 8:30 minute miles, but I question If I will be capable of that by then. I may have to settle for a little slower. I'll see how I progress over the next month and make a decision the week before the event (13th August). I don't want to jeopardise my long term goals by increasing my speed just for one event. I'd love to break 2 hours for the 13 miles, but I'm not going to be silly about my preparation. I'll just see how I feel in the next month.

I'm working away for most of this week, which suits my decision not to run anyway. Catch up next week, hopefully after completing the Ludlow Challenge Walk!

No comments: