Sunday, January 27, 2008

That's Lyth 2008

This week I was working in Ireland on Monday and Tuesday and so I was forced to use a treadmill at 6:45 on Tuesday morning. I only managed to get 6.5 miles in before I had to go and shower before breakfast and work.

On Wednesday I planned an 11 mile route but ended up doing 12.5 when I found part of my route had been closed (the site of Silverdale Colliery). I'd managed to find a way into the fenced-off site (initially not realising why the fences were there), but getting out was like escaping from Alcatraz. There was an 8ft perimeter fence all the way around, and a spiked fence the other side of it in places. Eventually I squeezed between a fence and down onto an abandoned railway line before getting back up the road. The detour added a further 1.5 miles onto the route which in part made up for only being able to do 6.5 the day before. There was 1200ft of ascent in the route.

On Thursday I did 11.5 miles, mostly trail, also at night; 1100ft of ascent. I am a head-torch veteran now! All the runs in the week I run at my endurance pace which is 9 minute miles. They are slow and steady, but effort is required to maintain the pace because of the climbing.

My gym session was on Friday. That went well, but I will have to miss next weeks due to working on Ireland for much of the week again.

I felt somewhat under the weather on Saturday and so decided to play safe and run a route but without my pack, knowing I would face a tough day on Sunday. I ran 12.5 miles again, but at my endurance pace rather than my slower pack-wearing pace.

I packed my rucksack on Saturday night with 9kg of weight, my heaviest event-weight so far (I have carried more in Tenerife before). I plotted out the route and transferred it onto my PDA, tested GPS function and ensured I was ready to leave the next morning. I got up at 5:30am, ate a porrage breakfast with some PSP22, and took along some PSP22 to top me up on the journey to Kendal in the Lake District to take part in the LDWA event That's Lyth. I did this event last year, as a runner, with only around 4kg of weight and it took me about 6:10. I was carrying an ankle injury and did stop for leisurely breaks at the checkpoints though. So, I wondered this time, if despite the 9kg pack I could beat my time.

I got to Kendal about 7:30, quickly registered and had about 15 minutes spare before the start. The event was oversubscribed as usual, and they had sent back some postal bookings I was told. There looked to be a good mix of runners and walkers in the 300-strong field, but I don't know the exact split. Both groups set off together at 8am.

Below is the route. The hill profile and my speed over the course are also shown, along with the 3 Checkpoint (CP) locations marked.




We set off and us runners went off ahead, me keeping my usual conservative pace at the start and letting most of the field stream ahead. 3/4 in we have to climb about 100 stone steps and then head up quite a steep path for the next mile. You rapidly heat up and you see lots of people taking off a layer or two of clothes half way up. I have made a decision to wear my medium-weight waterproof jacket zipped up for every single training run and event now, having done so for the last few weeks anyway. This inevitably means I get hot and uncomfortable, but I'd better get used to that feeling!

A short downhill follows then a long steady climb to just past the 3 mile point follows. I distinctly remember walking up this section that last, but I ran it this time. There is a pleasant descent on a good path for the next couple of miles afterwards followed by a climb up to the first checkpoint. This shot shows part of the route up to CP1. The weather was as shown for the whole day. No rain, not too cold, and only a little blustery on the hilltops.


I got to the first checkpoint with no intention of stopping. I just needed to top up my water bottle. I wasn't very happy when I found that I had to put disposable overshoes on to go into the building, just to fill up some water. A few jugs outside would be a good idea in future. So a couple of needless minutes wasted doing that. I decided to use my electrolyte at this point due to there only being three checkpoints in total.

I exited CP1 and headed 1/2 mile downhill taking this photo.


Next was the toughest climb of the day up to Whitbarrow scar (approx 2.5 miles). I'd love to tell you I ran the lot, but I walked about a good 1/2 mile section as the speed profile shows. The wind was very blustery here, as I remembered it was last year. People stopped and added their shedded layers back on in some cases. There is a small level section before the summit ascent proper and the cairn at the top from where I took this photo looking back, and the following one looking South.




The first part of the descent is fairly easy but then turns narrow and steep. The weather this year was dry which made it easier than last year. It was very slippy then and you had to be very cautious. Even so you can see my pace doesn't improve on the descent, and I was descending faster than most people around me. There is then a very steady ascent for about 2 miles followed by a welcome descent through woodland and good paths into Witherslack and checkpoint 2. This time outdoor shoes were allowed and I was in and out very fast after diluting my electrolyte drink with more water. I politely refused the offer of hot dogs at this checkpoint. As you may remember I banned myself from food at checkpoints for about the last 6 months now, eating only my MDS snacks; 100g salted cashew nuts which I graze on during the day. There is a fairly short but unpleasant hill not far after CP2 which leads onto a bridleway. I walked this short section and resumed my pace for the less steep section. What then follows is a descent into a flat-plain. The next 2 miles are absolutely dead flat as the elevation shows on the map. You can see how disciplined I am with my steady pacing in the speed profile. I think the brief dip in the speed profile was a loo break! I passed a guy who I had met on an event a few weeks ago, and he kept pace with me for a few minutes. He said that he found this section very demoralising because it is so flat. I told him that I had better get used to it, as I would be seeing plenty of similar lake beds or salt plains in Morocco.

In this terrain I think it's good to zone-out and not pay too much attention, just let the miles wash over you. At mile 18 the next ascent begins, but CP3 greets you almost straight away. Once again I filled up my water and finished off the rest of my nuts, knowing that the final 2 mile climb to Scout Scar is quite draining. I did a mixture of running and walking on the ascent as the speed profile shows. I wanted to ensure I saved enough energy to do the last couple of miles descent justice.


I took this photo from near the top looking back down into the valley from where I had come. You can see the flat-plain below and I had come from the base of that hill (it's actually the corner of Whitbarrow) on the right hand side of the picture.


I hit the summit and despite some tiredness now setting in I picked up the pace, winding it up even more the closer I got to the finish. The last couple of miles are mostly road, back down into Kendal and back to the start/finish. I was certainly more tired that the last event, The Hebden, which was an all over slower event due to poor terrain and more ascent. This route was longer though at 23.5 miles and had 3000ft of ascent overall. The main reason that I was more tired was that I ran it all, except the very steep sections. I could tell early on that I was going to easily beat last years dawdling time of 6:10. I finished in 4:52, almost 1 hour and 20 minutes faster, with a lot more weight!

I was very happy with my performance. It is the first time I have broken into the hour-4 territory, which is no mean feat for me when I am carrying such a heavy backpack.

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers of the event; superbly organised and friendly staff all day long. I had a bowl of soup and a roll, and also a jammy doughnut to replenish my sugar. I had brought along some SIS Rego which I washed it all down with before setting off home.

I have noticed that since I had got back from Tenerife my fitness has really improved. I don't know if this is solely down all the climbing and training at altitude there, or just because I am in 70-mile territory every week now. Whatever it is, it is very welcome and I am feeling well prepared for the MDS.

Two years ago I just wanted to finish the MDS. I still do, and that is my primary goal. However, now I have improved my fitness beyond recognition I am hoping I might be able to drag myself out of the back 200 finishers. This is probably a pretty tall order given the quality of the endurance athletes taking part from all over the world, but I can only try. This is slightly dangerous because it is setting the bar higher. I would hate to fail because I pushed myself beyond my ability in the hope of gaining a few places. I can't ruin two years training over that, so the goal to just finish must stay in focus.

I have taken a couple of other decisions. I will be using my New Balance 1100MDS trainers for the event, along with the Asics Kayano socks. I have used both for 2 years, and we know each other well.

I have chopped and changed my mind on this next one, numerous times, but I am not going to use walking poles. I have not used them for as long as I can remember. I think I have grown out of them. Early in my training I used them to supplement my lack of ability, and now I just don't want the hassle of carrying them around. They certainly have their place, and I know that they would come in really handy on ascents in the MDS (I will cast envious eyes at people as they stride past me on hills in the desert, I just know it!). Beyond that I would never used them, certainly not on flat plains. They would just be half a kilo of dead weight hanging off my backpack. I don't believe the MDS has enough meaningful climbs to make their use of any worth. If I was doing the UTMB in France then fair enough, but I'm not.

Another week over and more of the same next week. I have not yet entered the event I want to do next week, so I will have to phone and see if there are places left. If not I will do my own 22 or 24 mile run locally.

9 weeks to the start of the MDS.

2 comments:

Steph Cooke said...

Fantastic result Rich, you must be really pleased with your fitness. Sounds as though you are in great shape for the MdS.
Thanks for the cake by the way!

Anonymous said...

Awesome running Rich, keep at it mate, sounds like your training is going really well, and your fitness is coming on leaps and bounds. From the sounds of it, I think you'll easily be where you want to be in the mds given the training you're doing. Like you say, it's about finishing first!