Sunday, September 17, 2006

Lots of miles...

It's been a tough mixed week. Last weekend I did the 24 mile walk with the 10 mile run the day after.

I had some physio on Tuesday. After the walk the large tendons behind my knee's were very sore. Similar happened after the last 25 mile walk. I did quite a lot of stretches after this weeks sessions too.

This week, I ran 6 miles of intervals on Tuesday. A 6 mile pace run on Wednesday, and another 6 miles interval session on Thursday. All went well.

Friday my usual gym session went well.

Saturday I did an 8 mile pace run. I was intending to run at 8:30 pace, but I felt so comfortable I ran it at 8:11 minute miles. The route is posted above. Plenty of ups and downs.

So all good so far.

Sunday I had my first ever 18 miler scheduled in. I ran a completely unfamiliar route and carried a scrap of paper with the map printed on it. As my schedule indicates I ran at 10 min miles. I ran with my backpack containing 1.5 litres of water, and 4 SIS Go gels. I guess this with the pack and water it adds 2 more kilos of weight, but I have no choice with no feeding stations!

After just 4 miles my tendon pain really started, and I almost pulled out my mobile and stopped right there. However, I pressed on, as apart from that I felt fine and was running comfortably. My knee bothered me badly again at 12 miles. At 15 miles I paused to stretch it out. As soon as I stopped the tendon tightened instantly and I could feel the rest of my knee starting to inflame. I could have hobbled on and finished the other three miles, but I was too concerned that I could do serious damage to my leg and screw up my marathon due to injury. To be honest I should have stopped a lot sooner, but I wanted to equal my furthest distance so far. I pulled out my phone and called in a lift back. I walked another 1/2 mile before my gf showed up. We got back to her parents house, I showered and then I begged 2 x 400mg ibuprofen and put my feet up. Half an hour later and my knee had eased considerably. Also on the run I noticed my back was very tight.

This week I am not taking any chances and will get some more physio and probably a chiropractor session too. I've not had my back 'cracked' in a while and it could well be the route cause. I've also noticed a large lump at the back of my calf that is tender to touch. I guess the muscle is all knotted up. It's very difficult to try and stretchh out. Hopefully with spine cracking and soft tissue massage I can get this sorted.

It's a shame about today, but I'm not too dissapointed as I know I did the right thing. Up until I stopped I felt fine and could have upped the pace for the last few miles if necessary.

When I inlcude last weeks activities, over the last 8 days I have clocked up 75 miles. That's an awful lot in my books!

I don't think I'll have any issue with the 50-60 minute runs this week, and next Sunday's is a 2 hour run. I'll see how it all goes this week and let you know.

No comments: