Sunday, June 10, 2007

LA Trans Aq Day 6 30km

It's a hotter day than yesterday, over 30C. One of my ankles in bandaged and taped, painful. The last day is not easy at all, lots of undulating sand tracks. It's so hot I run out od water 3k before the only checkpoint and struggle on desperate. After the checkpoint, I fill up with water gratefully. A route change means the last 8.5 miles are on the beach in soft sand, no cover from the sun. It's a furnace and so hard to run with no traction. We have to cross a 30m wide thigh-high river 4 miles in, shoes and everything. Feet like lead afterwards. I almost run out of water again when they add a extra checkpoint with 5k left. After an eternity I see the finish. I overtake a French girl who had overtaken me miles earlier. However, I slow and say 'we finish together'. We finish shattered, 4 hours 11. I've done it!
84th overall, a lot better than I could ever have expected. Now time to eat and celebrate! I'll post a ful acccount when I'm home.

No comments: