Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sunday Run. Last chance at a long one before NY.

Today was my last opportunity to attempt anything like a 'long run'. All the advice says that in the last 3 weeks before a marathon you can't add to your fitness, just maintain it. The daily tips on the ING NY Marathon website confirm this.

Given my record has been about 4 miles pain free, for the last month, I wasn't hopeful.

I decided to run at a faster pace, and also to put a strip of tape around my thigh about 3-4 inches above my kneecap. I've ordered something called a Pattstrap from the States, which i've pictured.

All of the testimonials say that it really helps and reduces or elimates ITB pain. I don't think it's something you can use longterm, but if it can get me through the marathon...
Anyway, I tried to simulate one of these with a piece of tape. Not a very hi-tech solution and I had to tighten it up after 2 miles, as I don't believe I had sufficient pressure applied. I'm not really sure that a piece of tape worked that well, but I did manage a better distance today so i'm hopeful the real McCoy will do the trick.

I tried to pick a fairly flat route so as not to agitate my injury. I also read running on the opposite side of the road to the one I usually run on is better. This is because of the camber of the footpath. My ITB is very sensitive to camber at the moment anyway, so I was careful where I ran. I tried to stay on the flat, or run when the camber was higher on my left leg.

I decided I was going to run until it started feeling uncomfortable, but not painful. So I took my mobile phone along to call in a lift home.

I averaged 8:21 minute miles, and called a halt to my run at 8.5 miles.
My knee had started to niggle at only 2 miles, but didn't get much worse until just before I decided to stop and get a ride home.

At least I managed a better distance that before, but it's nothing like the 20 miler my schedule had me down for.

All I can do now is keep doing short fast runs and not to agitate my leg by running further. Since the run my knee has hurt, and i've been icing and applying heat as well as taking ibuprofen.

I've kept up my strengthening and stretching, adding a couple more exercises into my daily routine. I've also ordered a foam roller http://www.bodyhut.com/shop/prodView.asp?idproduct=1707
This is used to stretch out my ITB.

I'm hoping all these things i'm doing and buying are going to patch me up enough to make the distance, but when I'm only capable of running 1/3 of the marathon distance without pain, things are still not looking good.

Even revising my finishing time down to 4.5 hours is pretty optimistic I fear.

No comments: