Sunday, October 22, 2006

Bad Day

When I started running today it was raining heavily. It didn't stop raining hard at all.

My 'waterproof' jacket turned out to have all the waterproof properties of a string vest. It was also a chilly day. So within minutes I was very wet, very miserable and very cold.

A couple of minutes later my GPS unit failed. The repair I made on it a few months ago has been good until now, but I'm going to have to replace it before the marathon. The only advantage is that the replacement model is much smaller than the original. You can see the units below, pictured with the heart rate strap and the watch.





The newer unit only takes one AAA battery instead of 3.

Anyway...I'm now cold, wet, miserable and I have no GPS. My route takes me off road, hopefully to ease the load on my knee which I strapped up before starting out. The offroad path is pretty waterlogged though.

So, a few short minutes later my trainers have soaked up twice their weight in water and it feels like I'm wearing concrete shoes. Then just to add to my misery, my knee starts playing up. I stop running after about 5.5 miles and walk the other mile home.

For the rest of the day the other end of the ITB, my hip, has been very painful.

My ITB just isn't getting enough time to heal, before taking another pounding on the next run. There is no way I should be doing a marathon 2 weeks today. The remainder of the training runs will have to be capped at 3 or 4 miles to try and help.

All in all, a very bad day.

No comments: