Thursday, April 10, 2008

Journey's End



It is time to bid you farewell.

The full story of my MDS adventure is in the post below this one.

Well, I have done what I set out to do and completed the MDS. I documented my two year journey on this blog, and I’ll let it stand now as record of my achievement. The donations page is now closed. I raised £4500 including gift aid in total. So thank you and well done to everyone who has donated.

There are so many people to thank that I hope I don’t forget anyone. Please kick me if I do and I’ll add you to the list.

Roll of honour

Mum and Dad for their support for the past two years. Especially for looking after my son for much of every weekend as I trained. Thanks for all the words of wisdom, help with the sponsorship, the cards, and for decking out my house with celebration balloons and banners! Thank you for ever!
My son, too small to understand just yet, but I owe you a lot of time to make up for that you have lost to the MDS.
My sons mother for her support when I started out on my quest, and for her flexibility with him as the MDS drew nearer.
The eldest of my sisters for her support, especially in Tenerife.
My youngets sister for her support, now facing a challenge of her own with her new baby!
My uncle, Dr K P Burns, without whose help I would just not have completed much of my training, let alone the MDS. His Chiropractic and sports injury knowledge has saved me so many times I have lost count. He has given up more of his time than I could have dared to ask. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude.
Also to his staff – Jodie, Katie and Andy for their sports massage. Thanks for putting me back together when I was broken.
Thanks to all my other relatives, work colleagues, all sponsors, and neighbours for their encouragement, support and sponsorship
Clive Hevey – personal trainer extraordinaire and member of the Bob Graham Round club (look it up if you don’t know). His advice and training over the last 4 years has taken me from literally zero to where I am now.
Mike Perry at 1st Contact Physiotherapy Stoke on Trent – for sports massage and physio over the last two years.  He's an amazing physio!

All of my friends (those who still remember me anyway!). Especially Dan and Justin & Sally for their help and support when preparing, and also for the daily emails in the desert!
Everyone at Blackfriars School – both staff and pupils who have supported and helped with the fundraising.
The staff and students from Manchester Metropolitan University who have helped with my physical and mental approach to the MDS over the last couple of months.
Friends from the TRO forum for their sponsorship, and support on the forum and in the desert
Friends from the www.themds.co.uk forum for their words of wisdom, sponsorship, support on the forum and many emails in the desert – Too many of you to mention by name!
You, all my readers over the last two years, and judging by the web stats there are many of you. Thanks to those of you who commented and thanks to those of you who sent me emails in the desert. Thanks if you have just read, and I hope the blog has kept you entertained and maybe even given you a few ideas if you are a future MDS competitor.

This medal is for all of you.



May 09:
I've created a information source for ultra athletes accross the globe. A little bit of a thank you to the sport in general. I hope some of you find it useful
http://www.beyondmarathon.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely an incredible accomplishment! Really enjoyed your final blog and your training escapades. You probably don't even realize the number of people you have inspired.

Don't know what you will do to follow this but hopefully you will continue your journey.

Thanks!

Steph Cooke said...

Rich, I have just noticed you have posted your race report so I can't wait to have a nice leisurely read!
I hope that you aren't going to leave us totally! Be great to still see you around on the forums etc it's true, you have been an inspiration to so many of us setting out on the same quest.
Hopefully still see you around! You have made many friends here.
Steph

Rich said...

I'm sure I'll pop back to the forum from time to time, but I'll leave it to you future competitors to enthuse there for the most part. I'm only an email away if I can help with a question of course.

I'm currently resting and getting fat! I've got a free diary for the rest of my life at the moment, not decided how to fill it just yet.

Nicholas A T said...

Congratulations mate!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting MDS adventure story .