Sunday, March 16, 2008

Taper, at a temperature

So, I began my taper this week.

Monday was my usual day off, and on Tuesday I went to the gym. I did 25 minutes on the treadmill doing intervals; 3 minutes at 14kph and 2 minutes at 10kph, repeated. Following that I did an hour long workout, concentrating on stability and strength work. I then went into the sauna and did 2 x 15 minute sessions (just seated, not working out, bathing suits only allowed!). The sauna is 80C, so you lose a lot of fluid. I'm constantly sipping water whilst in there and also rehydrate at home.

On Wednesday I did a 6 mile trail run, taking in over 800ft of ascent. It seemed like a holiday just running 6 miles instead of 12 or 13. I wore 5 layers of clothes for the session; a thermal baselayer, 3 thick jumpers and a waterproof jacket zipped up over the top to keep me on the boil. Add to that a fleece hat, I was literally cooking.

On Thursday I did 6.5 miles, this time as an interval session, including 4 interval reps on a hill. Again, I wore the same 5 layers of clothes and baked even more on this tough session which took in almost 1000ft of ascent.

On Friday I did my usual gym session, and then later that evening had some sports massage and chiropractic treatment from my uncle Kevin. My left calf is still not in great shape. At the moment it is not causing me major problems, but it is tender to the touch and knotted still. Then finally I had a late sauna just before the gym closed; time totalling 40 minutes between 3 sauna sessions. I had also had late sauna sessions on Wednesday and Thursday evenings too.

On Saturday I loaded my pack with 8 kilos of weight, put on all my layers of clothes again and did an 8 mile trail route taking over 1000ft of ascent. The lighter pack allowed me to run at a better speed, averaging almost 6mph. Straight after I had another 40 minutes in the sauna.

Today, Sunday, I have done my last run of any significant distance before the MDS; 12.5 miles. I used the same 8 kilo pack, and same 5 layers of clothes and hat, but also wore walking trousers on top of my shorts too. I chose an enjoyable and familiar route through Swynnerton old forest, adding in a new short section and taking the total ascent over 1500ft. I got through 1.5l of electrolyte quite comfortably due to the excessive fluid loss (all the layers) and averaged 5.5mph for the distance.

I have covered 36 miles this week, which is to plan, and intend to cover 20-25 this final week.

I have got all of my kit, and more or less weighed it all and have it all finalised. I will pack everything towards the end of the week, enabling me to do next weekends runs with the actual MDS-weight pack and see how it feels. I intend to get some more treatment on my calf and see if I can get it in better shape for the event. It is not causing me major concern, but I'd like to get it as good as possible before I go. Also this week I will continue to train with layers of clothes and use the sauna. It's obviously a poor substitute for actual acclimatisation in a hot country, but it is the best I can do. I'll do all my final preparation such as making sure my nails are all cut, and I'll probably get a Lionel-Blair-cut (if you remember the advert!). The less hair I have the better, for heat loss I figure! That said, I won't be shaving my legs!

I will be running on egg shells this week, scared that I will turn an ankle! I just need to make it through one more week of light training! I will also start loading up on carbs, but since I eat so many anyway, that won't be anything new. However, I do hope I will put on a little weight; some fat stores to burn in the race week. I am less than 63kg now! My hydration has improved, and virtually every day this week my score has been in the low 500's (less than 600 is well hydrated). I will continue to monitor that this week, especially closely because I am losing a lot more fluid with all the layers of clothes, and loss of around 1 litre every 15 minutes in the sauna.

So, I enter the final week of training.

Have a good week.

4 comments:

Steph Cooke said...

Not long now!! I can't believe how fast the time has gone!
It's amazing how much your fitness has improved, you will be well prepared for the desert. The taper should hopefully set the calf right too.
Happy Easter!
Steph

Ivan said...

Rich, All the best for the race. Been reading your blog on and off over the last few months, reckon you've got the training nailed. Suddenly for me MdS2009 seems very real! Cheers ijk-2009

Jeff Grant said...

I've been following your blog for a few months now -- great writing and training. Thanks for sharing! You've done all the right things and I'm sure that you'll have a great experience. I wish you success and I look forward to meeting you at the race. -- MDS Jeff

ShiZ said...

Good luck with the MdS. My thoughts will be with you and every themds.co.uk entrant over the coming two weeks! Great blog by the way