Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wednesday treatment update

Just come back from another treatment session. I had half an hour with the sports masseur, targetting two problem areas. Firstly my left Popliteus is acutely painful. I've complained about a 'twanging' at the back of my knee as I run, and this is what is causing it. If you have never had this massaged before, take along something to bite down on. The other area is the top of inside leg calf muscle (Gastrocnemius) which is knotted up beyond belief. His sports masseur was really good and worked the knotted areas. They have released a little, but are still not there. There is almost a visible ridge on my calf it is that knotted. I had 15 minutes on the interrential machine aftter the massage. My uncle saw me afterwards and repeated more of the same targetted massage, then did some chiropractic adjustments on my back too. After all the treatment I has hobbling, and still am now! Neither my uncle or the sports masseur think I will be able to do the Thames Meander. If that muscle were to tighten up further, I could pull it even worse than I have already an risk shredding the already damaged muscle. 

No treatment tomorrow, but possibly some on Friday. If I actually need treatment on Friday then I can write off the Thames Meander. To be honest it's looking very unlikely. I haven't run this week and have been told not too. Possibly a swim tomorrow or see how I respond to cycling. I may go and see my uncle a sheffield chiropractor.

I'm playing the long game and the MDS is the goal here, not the Thames Meander. I'm prepared to throw that away if i'm not 95%+ on Friday.

Also I forgot to mention that I am using a exercise climate chamber two evenings next week, and also one evening the week after. This is courtesy of MMU, Alsager campus. I am working with students in their final year of study, and they needed an athlete to work with. I get to train in 40C and see what the desert heat might feel like. These sessions are not beneficial for acclimitisation, they are too far from the event itself, but they will help me mentally prepare and also try out my hydration strategy and my clothes too. So, I need to be in good condition to use the chamber, another good reason not to do the TM on Saturday.

I have just brought some Voltarol cream; my uncles recommendation. It's anti-inflamatory and apparently better than Ibuleve, which I don't find very good to be honest. I'll put some of that on now and try get this calf on the mend.

I'll update on Friday with my final decision.

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

Hi Rich, at least it's not a tear, which is good news. I can understand how disappointed you will feel if you can't do the Thames Meander, but like you say, the MdS is the goal!

I am hoping to do the Grindleford Gallop, may see you there!
Steph