Friday, February 15, 2008

No Go - Thames Meander

The calf is much improved, but it's not right. I'd say it's 80-85%. It needs a few more days (hopefully no more) to get back to normal. Everyone who has seen it this week says to do the event would be too risky.

I woke up this morning, moved around and it is still too tight down the back of the leg, and some of the fibres and still kotted up. It is still tender to touch in a few areas, so there is no way it will improve significantly in 24 hours.

It's heart-breaking because I want to do it so much, but 54 miles is serious mileage for being in perfect condition, let alone injured. I know I am doing the right thing though. I hope to resume running on Tuesday night, maybe Wednesday, albeit a shortish run. If that goes well I can rampt it back up fairly steeply I hope and resume a full 70+ miles the week after. I will target flatter routes to put as little stress on the calf as possible for a week or two. If I do this then I should make the MDS in first class condition, as long as I keep on top of the muscle-tightness.

I did an hour on the bike last night, which made me feel a little better for doing some cardio work at least. I will do more bike word on Saturday and Sunday too.

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

It is gutting but I think you have made the right decision, and like you say you should hopefully be back on top of things for the MdS.

Injuries are so frustrating and I guess training at the level required for an ultra it's extremely difficult to avoid them!

Hope the muscle tightness eases this week and you can build the mileage back up
Steph