Sunday, December 16, 2007

Tenerife Live: December 18th - 22nd 2007.


map loading...


Assuming the Spanish mobile network plays nice I am hoping to live blog my trip. I suggest you choose 'Satellite' view of the map above, because I will be in wilderness most of the time whilst in Tenerife. You can click on the man icon for timestamp/speed information. I will probably set my phone to update my no more than once per hour, starting at dawn on the 18th December. The reason for this is that mobile internet usage abroad costs £10 per Mb; likely to be minimum 50p per update! If at all possible I will send some photos too, but they may be fairly low resolution! At worst I'll try and send a text update just to let you and family know that I am fine and well. I know for certain that some areas have no mobile coverage whatsoever; namely on Mount Teide itself, which I climb on Wednesday. I expect to be in a total comms blackout from 10am to possible 4pm. It's possible I could get an update out in between, but no promises. I should be able to update at the end of the day worst case scenario, because I should be in an area with mobile coverage. If there is no update, that's probably not good. I am doing this totally alone, and because of the altitude and routes, there are risks of course. I'm pretty sensible so I won't do anything too stupid! I'm a runner not a climber after all.

I am hoping to 'reccie' some of the route and potential campsites the day before I set off. I hope this will confirm water availability, mobile phone coverage and in one case if I should pick a totally different route for part of the first day, due to one small section being excessively dangerous.

My previous blog post has the week's itinerary, in addition to the rest of the month, so you can see which days I should be active.

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

Hi Rich, hope you are having a good time in Tenerife and everything goes according to plan.
I guess you won't see this til you get back so hope you have a good Christmas.
Steph