Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Into a storm

Live blogging is over I´m afraid.

I did say that if my icon on the map below didn´t move, or I didn´t update at least once a day that was probably bad. It was. Unknown to me an ´Orange, Severe weather warning´ ( Which appears to mean 30L of water per square metre expected, according to a report a couple of months ago) was given out the night before I set off. Today I found out that this was the same storm-front that caused the recent ice-storm havoc in the USA. Anyway, I knew none of this, setting off blissfully unaware.

I´ll post the story when I got back. After 2 hours of fine weather the Island experienced the worst weather in 2 years and I was in the centre at 2000M in the middle, not underneath, of the raincloud. Waterproofing eventually failed, I got very cold, turned around in almost zero visibility. Through a combination of fitness, determination, good judgement, and luck, I got to my half way stage; a road. I eventually managed to flag down a passing car of 2 old German tourists. After that by some luck, half-remembered knowledge, and the help of several strangers exactly the right sequence of events took place to sort me out.

Counting the cost:
1 Mobile phone - Destroyed
Enlish SIM - Lost
1 PDA - Destroyed
Camera - Destroyed
Timex Watch - Lost
Timex GPS - Lost
Compression Top - Lost
Noth Face fleece - Lost
Windstopper Glove - Lost

I´m underselling the story deliberately so my family don´t stress. They know I´m safe and in perfect health. My Sister, who lives here, picked me up. I´m at her house now. I´ll give you the full details when I get back.

The weather is as bad again today, the rest of the week looks ok. Some of the items listed as lost may get returned to me (dropped on floor of German peoples hire car I hope). If they do I may be able to pick up my training schedule, with some modifications. No more live updates as that equipment is destroyed. I´ll post up again when I get home, it´ll be worth a read.

2 comments:

Steph Cooke said...

OMG Rich, sounds horrendous!! At least you're ok which is the main thing... looking forward to reading about it, sounds quite epic!

Anonymous said...

At least you're in one piece.

If there are lessons to be learned from this, I'm sure you will have learned them.

Can't wait for the full story. Keep going.