Monday, October 01, 2007

Light mileage, good performance

Due to a family commitment this week my training was severely impacted. I only managed to train on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. I ran a 10k trail on Tuesday, as an interval session. Intervals are always tough, but I do believe they really help fitness and pace.

On Friday I did my usual gym session.



On Sunday I planned a 16 mile route from my own house to my parents house. I ate a little more for breakfast this time but I forgot to buy porridge so it was still light on calories. I packed a 5kg rucksack, including 800ml of electrolyte. The session went really well. I ran a 5.3mph average for the first 5 miles, then increased my pace to bring the average up to 5.5mph over 10 miles. I knew the last 6 would be the toughest. The route had 1300ft of ascent and almost 1500ft of descent, however from 11 to 14 miles is all uphill, before a 2 mile gradual descent, but a fairly challenging climb in the last mile.

Last week I hit the wall around 11 miles, just simply out of calories. This time I started to feel hungry around then. I drank the last of my electrolyte around the 13 mile mark, knowing it would leave me with no liquid or calories to make it to the end. I knew I should have eaten more, or at least packed some snacks, but strangely this time I was welcoming 'the wall'. I had already decided to add an extra mile onto my planned route making it 17 in total, no matter how I felt, and sure enough as I climbed the last hill I made it to the top and hit empty. I had pushed hard for the last 5 miles in an effort to maintain 5.5mph despite all the ascent. My breathing and pulse quickened, and I began to feel rough. I knew what to expect this time and just pushed on anyway. I turned the corner at the top of the hill, and managed to increase my pace back up to 6mph for the last 1/2 mile. I managed to maintain 5.5mph, but crashed out on the front lawn of my parents house shattered. Once again I raised their cupboard for a Mars Bar and a large glass of juice, before tucking into some pasta after a shower.

I was really pleased with the performance. 5.5mph is very respectable. What you don't see on the map are the countless stiles I have to cross on the route, all of which take time off you. I ran the whole route so I was very happy. My knee and hip started to hurt a little, but only at 14 miles. I'm going over to my uncle, the chiropractor, to sort that out tomorrow night.

I plan a full week of training and the 23 mile fell run on Saturday.

Enjoy your week.

No comments: