Sunday, July 29, 2007

August Training and weekly update



My next month training plan above as you can see. My 2 main events this month, are the Dovedale Dipper this coming Sunday, and possibly the 29 mile version of the Rhayader Mountain Trail 2 weeks later.

The Dovedale Dipper is only 45 - 50 minutes travel from me. It's a 26 mile route, but takes in some 1250M of relief. I guess it's not called the Dipper for nothing! I've managed to get a copy of the route for my Memory Map program and I've watched a 3D simulation of the route (sounds very techy I know!!). The first 12 miles look pretty straightforward, but between 12 and 21 you get to ride the Dipper by the looks of it; all up and down. From 21 to 24 miles you are on a valley floor, so flat, before a final sting in the tail climb out of the valley and dash to the finish. I'll be carrying about 7-7.5kg again, so I aim to finish in about 6.5 hours or better.

Two weeks later there are no LDWA events on nearby. About the best match looks to be the Rhayader Mountain Trail. There are various routes, including a 43 miler which is for the Montrail Ultra Championships but is open to anyone who can complete in 12 hours. Carrying weight I'd question my ability to do that, and I'm certainly not doing it without weight because that would defeat the purpose of my training. I'm not sure if I will go or not yet. I say that because it is in Mid Wales. Mid Wales means no Motorways, no Dual Carriageways, just windy single lane A and B roads and a long journey. Its 100 miles, but the route planner thinks 2 and half hours to get there. That is a very early start. Now If I took my own car, and left early I'd knock a lot of time off that journey. I dare say I'd take an hour off, but I don't want to dump 200 miles on the car really, so I'd probably rent a little car for the day, so I'd say 2 hours+ is probably accurate. So it would be a long day, and plus I'd have a long drive back afterwards. I'm almost tempted to see what the B&B situation is like down there, so I could take it easy and enjoy it more.

I'm not sure yet, I’ll think on it. If anyone has done the Rhayader let me know! There looks to be about 1500M relief on the 29 mile course, and no doubt it will be fairly picturesque.

Two weeks after that on the 2nd September I'm going to do the 40 mile Coventry Way. I did toy with the idea of doing the Bullock Smithy, which is a 56 miler and is on the day before. However, the course is a hard slog with a lot of hill climbs (4500M to be precise!!). I covered a section of that course on the LDWA Peakers Stroll I did a few weeks back, so I know what I would be getting myself into. At this stage I don't feel as though I could do a 56 mile run, with heavy pack, enough justice. I'd also risk injury needlessly. I'll save the 50+ milers until after Christmas. There is no way I will face a 56 mile 4500M day on the MDS, 56 mile and 45C maybe...

On Sept 22nd I'm going to run the LDWA Hills and Dales, an event which I walked last year. Ominously it is the event where I injured myself 7 weeks before the NY marathon (my first and only), and almost ruined my chances. I recovered (thanks to my Uncles Chiropractic treatment) enough to make the start and finish, but only in 4hr10. On that subject, I wonder if I will ever revisit a road marathon again. I'd love to clear a 3:30 marathon; a time of which I know I have in me, but the road holds so little interest to me anymore maybe I never will.
Anyway, back to Hills and Dales. It is about 23 miles I think, but a superbly run event in my favourite local the Derbyshire Peak district. I think the course is new this year anyway. That is as far ahead as I have planned event for, but I will continue with the 'one every 2 weeks' possible stepping up to one a week in October or November.

Right, this weeks training: Nothing. Yes that's right, nothing. Concerned about what I thought was my hamstring I saw a Sports Massage therapist on Wednesday. He confirmed it was a hamstring strain and set to work on it. He advised resting it and light stretching. I knew it wasn't too bad, but I've learned not to run through injuries and played it safe. This was my 'recovery week' anyway, but instead of doing less, I did nothing. Well, that's almost true. I ran 7 miles today, no pack and on the road. I tried to pick as flat a route as possible to avoid aggravating my Hamstring. I ran it at a reasonable, but not excessive pace; enough to stretch it out but not enough to make it worse at 7:45 min miles. It felt ok, but I avoided the temptation to add a few extra miles on the end of the route in case that tipped the balance.

I'll exercise normally this week, but I won't do my hill rep session on Wednesday. I will do a standard interval session for just over an hour instead. The Dovedale Dipper on Sunday may be a step too far in all honesty, but I'll take it easy and see how I get on.

Speak to you next Sunday eve, hopefully after a successful 26 miles!

No comments: