Monday, January 22, 2007

Scott of the Antartic

I was unable to train Tues - Thurs and Saturday due to late working. I arrived back at 10 and 11pm on Tues and Weds due to being stuck in traffic jams. Road chaos ensued from the storms that hit the UK. Lorries blown over and trees blocking roads, all added to the many miserable hours I sat in traffic jams up and down the country.

My Gym session on Friday was cancelled too, so I did a run in the evening. I did a 10k off road run around Apedale Country Park. I picked an undulating route, rising the highest local point before returning home. I used my new Petzl LED head torch (A Christmas gift) which worked well. I also added a kilo of weight to my backpack. It's from this week onwards that I slowly start to add weight for every training session. I found the 10k quite tough. I don't think I was fully recovered from last weekend. Still, I completed it, although with some discomfort down the length of my right foot on top. Last Sunday, during that disastrous Cannock run I turned my ankle as I was getting tired; my foot turned so that the sole of my right foot was facing my other shoe. Anyway, it was nothing serious. Even today it was just a twinge so I carried on.

On Sunday I planned a 12.5 mile route near Macclesfield, see below. (I posted the actual route and results, including the speed travelled, and elevation profile).



I packed a heavier rucksack. I carried 1.5L of electrolyte (a much weaker solution than recommended; about half as weak), and I carried extra clothes too. I was wearing a thermal base long sleeve top, my walking trousers, an ultralite windproof running jacket, windproof gloves, Ron Hill hat and my New Balance 1100 shoes. I was also trying out two types of gel toe caps. I normally tape up my toes and feet, to great effect, but it is very time consuming. If you get it wrong you can cause more problems than you prevent.
You can see an example of the two types of toe caps through these links.
http://www.foot-trac.com/all_gel_digital_toe_caps.html
http://www.store.acmedicalonline.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=2523&cat=&page=1&XCARTSESSID=1bf5d3129c6f2212eb2ed132af8c67f1

They are basically the same, but the second type have an outer fabric layer too.

Anyway....

I parked near a place called 'Blaze' and did a combination of walking and running to the foot of the first Tor (Old English for big rock), a 506M elevation. The picture from below and then from the top really don't do it justice. You can just about make out 2 people on the top of the first photo if you look closely.



I ran to the foot, and then walked up to the top, using my walking poles too. The view from the top:



I also took a short video whilst I was up there.



After I had climbed to the top I was forced to change out of my ultralite windproof top, into a (less) lightweight walking water/windproof jacket as I was very cold despite the steep climb. You can hear the wind on the video to get a feel for the blustery conditions. I spent about 10 minutes at the top, changing my clothes and taking photos and video before continuing. I ran the way down and through Macclesfield Forest. Well, I did until I was faced with these obstacles in several placed in my path, that the weeks storms had created.




After that descent, I then ran before slowing to descend the next hill, which eventually led me to the highest peak in the area known as Shining Tor. You can see from the pictures below, it was a distinctly wintery flavour!





It was bitterly cold on the approach, and I was forced to put on my hood over my hat, tighten up various straps and clips to keep warm. It was cold, sleeting and hailing, as the wind chill sent the temperature down to I’m guessing -5 (probably less). My electrolyte drink was ice cold anyway! By the time I had done all this I looked like I was taking part in a polar expedition. You'll just have to take my word for it, it was really that cold!



You can get an idea of how bad the wind was form this next video. I'm afraid you can't hear what I am saying very well. I think I said "It's very windy, and I had better start heading back down as the weather looks to be getting worse". You can see a weather front heading in on the video that looks very dark and ominous!



I descend down, back on the road briefly and past 'The Cat and Fiddle' pub, a place that surely suffers from a distinct lack of trade in the winter months! A few bemused faces stared at me as I ran past in all that gear, rucksack on, and walking poles in hand. I descended further, out of the snow but down paths that were flowing with water from the melt taking place higher up. I got very wet feet indeed, but a couple of nice photos.





I ate a frozen solid SIS Go energy bar at some point before winding my way back along the route to the car. It took my about 3.5 hours, which is only 3.5 miles an hour. However, when you take into the account the 2000ft of ascent and the fact I was stopping to take picture and photos, it's not too bad. I ran at every opportunity.
Those gel top caps performed well, and both survived my sodden wet feet, the fabric ones more so that the just gel ones. The only downside to the day was that the right foot pain I had got progressively worse. I don't think it's anything serious, but even walking is painful today. I'll go easy in the next week and I'm sure it will improve.

Next Sunday it's the big 23 mile LDWA 3500ft of ascent event in the Lake District. Its forecast snow this week, so assuming it's not called off and I don't get lost, I'll update you next week!

No comments: