Sunday, January 07, 2007

New year week training.

Kicked off 2007 training with a session at the Gym on Tuesday. Half an hour on weights, followed by half an hour in the pool. I spent the whole half an hour trying to improve my terrible front crawl. I can run a marathon but a length of a pool shatters me. I read some hints and tips and realise it's my awful technique. I bring my arms out of the water too high, I don't turn my body enough, I don't breathe right. It's an endless list. It will take me a long time to fix these things I suspect. I did a series of exercies with various floats to concentrate on various parts of the stroke. I'll keep repeating this each week to see if I can get some improvement.

On Wednesday I did my first run in a month. Only 4 miles, but I picked a tough route to bring in the new year. I found it tough, but not as tough as I had expected. I forgot to warm my muscles up first, and felt a lot of tight tendons snapping accross as I ran. The route was only 4 miles, but I didn't want to push it too far, being my first run.



I swapped my Thursday and Friday session around, doing my weekly strengthening session in the gym.

On Saturday I planned a walk in the Derbyshire Peak district, taking in 'The Roaches'.




I started my walk from near to Gradbach Youth Hostel and followed a route up to Roach End (505 Metre) then along the rock face ridge of the roaches then back around to Gradbach. I started the walk quite late, at 1:45pm and the 9 mile route took me 3 hours. It had 1550ft of ascent. It took a little longer than I would normally have expected due to quite a few stoppages for various reasons.

It was raining, and thick fog with visibility less than 100yrds, sometimes less. I stopped for about 10 minutes to help two lost girls. They were obviously lot local and had come to walk their dogs. They stopped me about half way up the 800ft ascent to Roach End and were about to head the wrong direction back to their car. I got out my map and set them on the right route. I took a few photo's. A couple at Roach end (the peak of the area), and one near the cliff faced below, popular with climbers. You can see the fog eh?!






I also took a video by accident. I thought I was taking photos. I stopped it after 5 seconds when I realised, but this should give you a little idea of the conditions.




The other reason the route took so long was that I was trying out some walking poles that my Uncle has loaned me. They are Montrail poles with anti shock tips. They are considerably heavier than the ones I would likely end up with I suspect, but they gave me valuable insight and experience. I read a few websites about setting them up, gripping them right and walking with them. I got the grip right straight away, but actually walking with them felt so unnatural. At first I could not even place the right pole with the right foot. You are supposed to swing them exactly as you do when you walk, left foot forward right arm forward. However, I was all over the place, obviously concentrating far too hard instead of letting it happen naturally. I stopped loads of times to adjust the height, the wrist straps as well as stopping to get out my PDA which of course I use with Memory Map and Satellite Navigation. I always carry a proper map and compass, but at the moment I would not like to try and use them in anger!

Eventually I put my PDA in my plastic map holder (you know the ones with string round your neck) and that did nicely. I didn't have to keep stopping and taking the PDA out of my pocket, then putting the poles back on all the time.

I discovered it is difficult to use 2 poles in certain terrain. Sometimes the path is just too narrow, so you have to switch to using just 1. The paths around the Roaches are littered with both small and very large (10's of tons) sized sandstone (I think it's sandstone anyway?) rocks. I found this made use of 2 poles very difficult too. I was always having to look groundwards for places to place the poles and this slowed me down. I went through various phases in the walk of "I hate these, no I like them, I'll never use these, I might use these" etc. It was leaning towards the "I don't like them" until the last mile and a half. I was down off the roaches and on normal fields and paths. The poles became easier to use, and I suddenly found my rhythm and the swing became natural. I started to speed up and actually really enjoy using them.

So, i'll keep trying them out, but so far so good. I got back to the car at dusk, 4:45 the last car off the car park. All the sensible people were home warm and dry hours ago. I'd bought a new lightweight waterproof jacket that I was very appreciative of. However, my foot and trousers were soacked thorugh. I was wearing walking trouser, just not waterproof ones. I've put a request in for some for tomorrows 33rd birdthday.

My feet are never going to stay dry in the New Balance 1100OR shoes, since they are trail shoes not walking boots. I'm not bothered about that to be honest. I can put up with wet feet. The 9 mile route didn't really tax me overall, despite the climb in the middle. The tendons at the back of my knees are a little sore today but that didn't stop me running today.



I ran this evening, a route just over 5 miles. I warmed up first with my foam roller, trying to ease tose sore spots behind my knees a little. It was already dark as I didn't set off until 6pm. I didn't take a watch or GPS with me, for timing purposes this week at all. I took it steady and I think it took around 45 mins. I paid special attention to trying not to turn my right toe out. I made an active effort to keep it pointing forward as I ran. I also tried to toe-off an extra 20-30% with that foot to get it used to working again. Chiropactor told me that the cause of this was probably my back, but that I was now turning the right foot outwards and also my right leg was less flexible. I was almost dragging it as I ran, and not pushing off it. As a result that leg has lost muscle mass in the quad compared to my left, and I'm losing power as a result.

Last year I had to totally break my running down and relearn to breath again. This year i'm going to get this hip right by relearning to use my right leg properly!

So, I've had a sucessful first week. I feel a little sore now. My hip is hurting but hopefully that is on the mend. I'm hoping just a daily workout of my hip abductor will help, as well as concentrating on how I plant my left foot for a few weeks.

No comments: