Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Tenerife Day 6: Facing down the demon

I lounged in bed until almost 10am, savouring the day of rest. I eventually got up and had some Weetabix and a cup of tea, a nice change from the porrage oats, banana chips and dried milk powder, washed down with PSP22. I sat in front of the satellite TV watching something utterly unmemorable on BBC1 waiting for a call from my sister. This would be my call for the greatest challenge of the week, Christmas shopping. However I got a text message "sorry, I have to work today, I can meet you after 5pm".

Sure, I could have gone shopping on my own, but I was buying something for my sister, amongst others, so it seemed a little pointless. Besides, shopping isn't my favourite past time. I'd much rather be out training than............I wonder? I wondered for about 30 seconds, then loaded up my pack, got dressed into my running clothes (they now smelled well past their sell-by date) and got in the car.

I drove up to Vilaflor (Spain's highest located village), a really tedious drive of countless hairpin bends ascending up to 1400M. Driving up to Vilaflor I could see a lot of low cloud. I got the shudders after my nightmare day in the cloud, and also it had spooked me a couple of days later and made me descend. I'd obviously developed a fear of cloud! How stupid I thought, but it didn't seem so silly when I recalled the horror a few days earlier. I had to go out and train in this today and face this one down, or be scared of clouds on future events! I parked in a lay-by by a dirt road. The dirt road was closed by a barrier. I believe the road is undergoing major work to make it more accessible to tourists. As it stood I would have to continue on foot to start my intended route for the day, the Pasaje Lunar (Moon Walk). By this time it was after midday incidentally. The marked route is in blue. I added the bit shown in red, returning on the same path.



I strapped on my pack and set off running along the track. It undulated and weaved back and forth into ravines. The weather had cleared up a little and some blue sky was visible, maybe I wasn't going to face the demon cloud after all? Eventually I reached an actual footpath signpost, the first I had ever seen in Tenerife. I was so shocked I had to take a photo.



You probably can't read it; it says Lunar Pasaje pointing left and right; 3.7km on one, 3.3km on the other. Basically it's a circular route, but gaining about 400M in altitude, so it's no pushover despite this being eventually earmarked for more casual tourists. At some point there would be car parking at this stage, but as it was at the moment there was a 5 mile (8km) return trek, back to the main road where I had parked (2.5 mile each way). At this stage I slowed to a fast walk as the route. Although not steep, was sufficiently taxing to tire out a runner rapidly. To my delight the entire path was lined each side with stones. This was one path in Tenerife that it would be very hard to get lost one. It was obvious quite a lot of money was being spent to make this accessible and attractive. I set off upwards through the young pine forest really just admiring the view. From time to time there would be a crossroads of older paths, but the right way was clearly way marked. About half way up the path I met a crossroads that I would have met on day 1 of my original route. Form this point on I would be travelling my actual route on day 1; a route which would take me to my day 1 camp location, if I left the Lunar Pasaje path at a specific point.

After about 30 minutes I got my first glimpse of the rock formations which give the route it's name. I've not bothered posting any more shots of this rock, because you get the idea don't you? White smoothish ash/lava formations resembling moon rock.



I think all the climbing made the route seem much longer, and it felt like more than 3km when I reached the highest point in the walk. Cloud was once more coming down and giving me the jitters a little, but it was comforting to be on an marked route. In fact that was the problem, this was too comforting. I glanced at my PDA and GPS and saw that I was at the exact point where, if this was day 1, I would head due north for around 2 miles, gaining more altitude before pitching my tent for the night assuming I could find a suitable location.

I looked up and around at the descending cloud (still good visibility at this stage) and decided I would follow my original route and see if what I had planned would have been viable. On the map, about half way along the red line, you can see I turn right and the texture of the rock changes. That is where I took this photo.



The rock look very bizarre, and from a distance looks completely smooth. I went forward into that ravine and then turned right almost doubting back on myself to follow a cairn-marked path up on into the middle of the rock on the right of that photo. I made it made which good views, but glancing back this cloud was closing it. It really looks menacing as it tumbles over the trees and headed towards me.



That was behind me, the way I had come from. Ahead was still clear and more inviting, but taking me further off the set trail. At this point I would have been about a mile from the Lunar Pasaje trail, which itself is very remote. Imagine my surprise to see this ahead me. It stretched for a full mile to the end of this rock on which I walked. Someone had laid this and practically no tourist would ever see it. Incidentally, that's Mount Guajara in the background.



It's still quite a slog walking its length as it does rise steadily gaining altitude. Behind me the cloud was swallowing everything and closing in rapidly. I did get a little worried, but kept it in check. I made it to the end of the 'path' and just looked ahead and saw that I could well have made camp there on day 1, so my plan would have been sound. I turned to run back the way I had come, and a few seconds later this was that same path.



More than a little disconcerting isn't it? I ran back down, I think probably a little faster than I would normally, perhaps a slight edge of fear. When I realised that, I stopped and walked. It was just cloud. I couldn't see very much, but I strolled at a slow pace for a while just letting it wash over me. I reassured myself, I knew where I was, I could find my way back with or without GPS and well, it was just cloud! I decided I was ok with it, and once more picked up the pace eventually rejoining the Lunar Pasaje route at the half-way point. The cloud was still thick though, and all those photo's I used to illustrate my day 1 disaster were taken on this day in the next hour or so. I coped better this time though!

From time to time it would clear a little as shown below, but would remain until I rejoined the dirt road and made my way back to the car.



I got back to the car about 5pm and had clocked up 12 miles in total, which brought my weekly total to around 65 miles. Not a bad week’s effort, after the early disaster. That brought a close to my training. I did get to go shopping that evening, and again the following day before I flew home. So Santa did have presents for everyone in the end you will be pleased to hear. Sadly, Santa forgot gift tags, so recipient’s names were scrawled in between the pattern on the gift wrap!

My week has trained me as much mentally, as physically, which really is what I needed. I'm already strong enough to take the MDS distances, but add the heat and it will become a real mental battle. That is the real battle for me now with the MDS. It will be won by my mind beating the body into submission, and forcing me to continue despite being convinced I am dying. I need a healthy respect for the MDS, but I can't get scared, it is self-defeating. I won a couple of battles in Tenerife, albeit barely. I am hoping that in the MDS I will be better prepared this time.

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

Good result and well done. Sounds as though it has been good mental preparation as well as physical, which will stand you in good stead as I think mental toughness may well be half the battle.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's body is convinced that I am going to collapse and die when under strain!