Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Training Plan September 2007



Above is my training plan for the next four weeks. There is approx a 5-10% increase in all training times from the previous month. I have 3 challenge events during this time; a particularly busy two weeks ahead. I am viewing the 40 mile Coventry way event as the 'long day' at the MDS. This in mind I will only carry 5kg in my pack because by day 4 on the MDS that is approximately what my pack will weigh. I don't think there is any point carrying 8kg for 40 miles. It's unnecessary and will just increase the risk of injury. Plus the fact that just 6 days later I am doing another 22 mile hill event, where I do intend to carry full weight.

I've not covered 40 miles in one day before, so this is new territory for me. However, the 30 miles in Wales two weeks ago involved a considerable amount of ascent (6500ft), whereas this event has less than 2000ft. I'm thinking that the trade off in ascent will be balanced by the increased mileage and I should hopefully find the event tiring, but straightforward. I only managed 3.3mph average in Wales, but I am hoping that I can manage a 4mph average in Coventry, so I should be looking at about 10 hours on my feet. Because there are no significant hills, I am unsure how to play this one. Normally I would walk steep uphill sections and run the rest. I obviously can't run 40 miles non-stop, so I am going to have to plan a run/walk strategy. Perhaps something along the lines of; run 5 miles, walk 1 mile, repeat. This may be tiresome early on when I am fresh, but will pay me back later when I am tired. I've not quite decided for sure yet. I'll think on it this week. I'm not likely to get back home until gone 10pm on Sunday, and I will be no doubt very tired. So, expect an update on Monday.

Have a good week.

No comments: