Sunday, February 04, 2007

Big news - a new challenge - In June!

Before I get onto that though, a quick update on this weeks training.

My foot/ankle hasn't been too good. I couldn't run, so I just did a couple of gym sessions. Even an hour on the ski machine aggravated my foot in all honesty.

On Sunday I tried out some Nordic Walking at Cannock chase. Google it for more details, but basically it's walking using slightly modified trekking poles, but using a totally different walking style. Instead of placing the poles vertical, you angle them backwards and push off with them, boosting your speed and really working out your upper body and back.

I struggled for about at hour with the technique, and then it clicked I was struggling because I was walking too slowly. I speeded up to my usual walking speed and it all fell into place. I finally felt as though I was being 'worked-out' and was getting a benefit from the poles. I'm going to email Leki and ask their advice on which type of poles are best for my activity.

I really like the Nordic style poles, as they have a small glove that clips into the pole and has a quick release. This means that it is easy to free your hands and eat/drink etc. Standard trekking poles just have a strap you have to thread you hand into. They really tie up your hands, and I'd be concerned that I would find it a pain to keep stopping to eat and drink. That could prove to be my downfall in 120F heat. However, I believe that normal trekking pole use could be more beneficial to weight distribution, especially of a heavy pack. So I want to know if there is any barrier to using Nordic poles, but using them in a standard trekking style. I'll let you know what Leki say.

So, I did about a 4 mile walk with the poles over Cannock chase. It was a lovely sunny day, and Cannock chase (a local beauty spot, popular with walkers) was very busy. I was pleasantly surprised that no jokers stopped me to ask where the snow was, as I trundled along with the poles.

I got back and strapped on my pack and decided to try a run. My ankle didn't feet too good a couple of miles into the run, so I decided to cut it short and it only ended up being a little over 4 miles. It felt much better on the soft ground, so there is obviously some healing to do still. The route I chose was nevertheless quite hilly as you can see, so I feel I got a good workout.



My foot has been sore all evening since, so I know that this week will be cross training only. I will just stick to swimming and gym work. I've not given the foot time to heal properly this week, ignoring my own advice again. I've learned my lesson. It's not terrible pain or anything, but unless it heals totally, it will come back and haunt me on a long run sometime soon.

Now, onto the big news: I've sent off the registration form, and assuming my bank transfer goes ok tomorrow then I've got a place in an event in June in France.

It's called La Trans Aqu. You can read about it in detail on their website, but in short it is very similar to the Marathon des Sables in format.

It's a 230km self sufficient 6 day event; 6 stages between 25 km and 60 km long each day. 75% of the tracks are on sand through pine forest that borders the beach. It's a costal path route basically, that also takes in the largest sand dune in Europe; the Dune of Pyla (300 feet high). That's also a night stage to make life interesting. There is plenty of running on sand I believe. You carry all of your food clothes, sleeping bag etc.

Now, where it differs from the Marathon des Sables is that it is about 20km shorter (ok that's neither here or there!). You can also hand in to the organiser a bag of no more than 2kg containing whatever you like (food probably) for day 3 onwards. So when you reach the end of stage 3, they hand you the bag to top-up your rations. It is a way of keeping your rucksack weight down. You are not allowed a pack that weighs more than 8kg at any time. It is mercifully cheaper than the MDS; La Trans Aqu costs 650 euros to enter. The temperature should be lower than the MDS. But, and it is a big But.... the humidity is considerably higher, usually 40% versus about 6% in the Sahara. This makes staying cool through sweating more difficult, and the high humidity was the reason that 25% of the field failed to finish in last years MDS... and it was only 20% there!

The event is only in its 3rd year, and will have a maximum of 250 competitors. Lots of superb athletes by the sounds of it, including someone who has come 5th in the MDS!

I've talked to past competitor from England, and given him my background. He said I should enter. I wondered if taking on this might be too much too soon, but I'm going to train hard and do it (notice I said do? "Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'" - spot the tongue in cheek quote anyone?). It will be invaluable experience for the MDS next year, and my first taste of a multi-day event. I'm not going to significantly modify my training plan at all, as I am already doing the right training. I may put a little more weight in my pack sooner and try and train with 6kg. I'll also aim to complete a 36-40 mile event or training session at the beginning of May; one month before the event on the 3rd June.

I'll post more details and information as I get it, as well as my early preparation of course. More next week.

No comments: