Thursday, September 21, 2006

Healing time

After taking tuesday off, following treatment, I tried a short 4 mile interval sessions last night. After 2 miles my knee was feeling sore and aching with every footfall. Not a good sign. It was the whole knee area, rather than the tendons. I guess this was brough about by running further than I should have done on it, on Sunday. I've caused a general knee problem.

To stand any chance of even making the start line for NY I am going to have to take some time off from running. It's the last thing I want to do right now. This is when my training is peaking, and my head is telling me to run all the time to prepare. However, I know there is a real danger that I'll do even more damage and end up with a NY sight seeing trip, instead of a marathon. This morning it feels sore, and not right when I walk on it. I'm going to keep it raised as much as possible and ice it every hour.

I'm not going to run for a week now and see how it feels then. I'm losing valuable training time, but I have no choice. Next weekend (29th Sept) I am in Ibiza for the weekend. I was planning on running there, and still might, but I'll just have to see. When I get back I will only have 2 more weeks of training before taper. It may be that I have to sacrifice a week of taper to make up my training. I'm just not sure right now, and until I see how things progress I'll play it by ear.

I'm now concerned that I should not even attempt any 20 mile training runs at all. Maybe i've only got one 20 mile run in my legs, and I should save that for Marathon day. If I attempt a 20 miler in 3 weeks and my knee goes, that is the marathon gone for certain.

Worrying times...

No comments: