Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Good News

The doctor in A&E thought it might be a fracture. To be honest, given the pain, I was inclined to believe him. My uncle (Chiropractor) thought otherwise, and was right!

He x-rayed me again (a bigger x-ray) and went over the film with a magnifying glass to see if there was ant suggestion of a hairline fracture; none whatsoever.

As soon as he was happy he set to work on my foot. I did have a metatarsal head problem as he suspected, and he snapped it back into place. The x-ray did show up a blurry area on the ankle joint with my 4th metatarsal. The joint was also locked (I had restricted movement in my ankle). He mobilized the ankle again, and said the blurry area was inflamed. There was also some kind of wound on my foot which just looked like a scratch, but was lumpy underneath. This was also inflammation, maybe from something puncturing the foot and infecting it. My uncle basically rubbed on this area very hard, as well as doing the same and mobilizing the rest of the foot. He also took the opportunity to loosen my plantar fascia on both feet.

He repeated this treatment the following day. I can tell you now, it hurt like hell. I was squealing at times! It was very uncomfortable, but he told me he had to be rough on it to get it right.

I regained the ability to claw my toes after me mobilized by back which released with a cascade of cracks. So, I guess the nerve impulses were fixed.

I've had my back mobilized done many times, but never so many cracks at once!

One of his sports therapists there loosened up a very tight right Peraformis muscle, which has been the culprit of my recent hip pain. That was a pretty painful experience too.

Following all that I spent 20 minutes in his interferential machine, which passes waves of current through 4 suction pads. I've been on this before too. If you've ever had an electric shock then that is what this feels like as waves of electricity cause your muscles to contract. It's turned up to a level of which you can stand and then left to work.

The outcome is that although I’m very sore, I can walk again, albeit a little slowly at the moment!

I won't be climate training in Ibiza this weekend (just lounging on the beach I guess!). I am disappointed about this to be honest, but it's for the best. I won't be doing any training for probably a week to 10 days. This is a long time, but it's a lot shorter than 6-8 weeks if it would have been a fracture.

Many thanks to my Uncle for his expert knowledge and treatment. If you ever have a sports injury then he is the man you need to consult. He has treated premiership footballers, and Olympic athletes, so you would be in expert hands.

Dr K P Burns - Sheffield Clinic of Complimentary Medicine

He also has practices in York and Hull, as well as Sheffield.

So, I'm back on my feet and will be mended soon. I'll update in a week or so with my progress.

No comments: