Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mow Cop punishment.

I had my usual day off training on Monday, and followed up on Tuesday with a pace run. Only scheduling in 30 minutes for this weeks sessions, meant a quick 3.5 mile blast up the hill to the local monument, over the fields and back home. It's a familiar route, taking in about 320ft of ascent, pretty much all in the first mile. I didn't start off running quickly, but speeded up as I went along. Starting on a steep climb it's difficult to run this route quickly, plus there are a few stiles to negotiate and a slightly divoted field. However, I ended up with a reasonable pace at the finish of 7:55 minute miles. I've finished this route in little over 7 minute miles average when I put my mind to it though.

On Wednesday I had to travel down and into the very centre of London (EC3), by the gherkin building to collect to equipment from Accenture's building. I despise driving through London, I'm sure everyone does. It took me almost 2 hours to get back out to the M1 after sitting in gridlocked traffic. I got back too late to do any training.

The following day I took the equipment up to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, helped set it up, and then returned home, clocking up almost 800 miles in the last 2 days. Again it was too late to train when I got back.

On Friday I was on babysitting duty after 5pm, so couldn't train again!! So, nothing for 3 days. Runners will know what I mean when I say that you feel as though you will lose all your months worth of training benefit in a matter of days unless you keep getting out there. OF course it's not really the case, but that's sure how it makes you feel.

So, Saturday, ridden with guilt I decided to punish myself with a tough route. Too tough for a week before a big event, but I felt I needed it.



I decided to run to Mow Cop castle and back. Mow Cop is a castle ruin just over 6 miles away. Well, actually it's a folly really, but it looks pretty enough and it's the only 1000ft peak anywhere near me.

I loaded up with 7 kilos as usual, including 800ml of SIS Go Electrolyte. I mixed it up wrong and made it twice too strong. As a result I hardly drank any at all.

Still using by backup orthotics, as my main pair are having to be altered again after I was unhappy with them. They made them so thick I can barely get my foot in the shoe!

I used the trainers with the Velcro around them for the gaiters. During the course of the run I must have scuffed a rock as a 3 inch section is left hanging all torn. Well, at least I found the weakness at home and not in France in a week’s time. I've bought what looks to be the strongest adhesive you can buy and will set to work on a repair later. So much for paying £10 to have them 'professionally' attached at a cobblers. If you want something doing, do it yourself right?

I only managed to average 4.7mph on the ascending 6.25 miles due to hitting a mile long section of fields where the grass was thigh-high.



I was forced to walk through this, as running was impossible. I took a few shots of the castle during the ascending route, you can see those below.







The final climb is steep, but assisted by steps. I reached the summit, clicked off a couple of shots of the view. Those of you sharp-eyed should be able to make out the world famous Lovell telescope at Joderell Bank . Sorry it's facing thr wrong way today. I'll ask them to point it at the castle next time I'm up there! EDIT: Actually the resolution is too bad to see it, oh dear. You'll just have to click that link if you want a picture.




It took me an hour an 18 minutes to get there. I decided to go back a slightly different route for the last 2 miles of the route, to avoid the fields. It's the same distance back, but because of the better terrain, and it's pretty much all downhill, I did it in an hour and 2 minutes.

My foot arches were a little sore en-route and also afterwards. I think this was a combination of tight muscles and the backup orthotics. I am going to get a sports massage this week, just to make sure I am in top condition for the event.

Last night I packed my rucksack for the event. It took a long time, weighing out all the food and bagging it up, labelling it with my race number. I did plan to use the pack today for a dress rehearsal training session, but the weather is awful - non-stop rain all day. I don't want to risk any of my kit, so I going to do a session tomorrow instead.

What I will do later is post up my complete packing list and a couple of photos too.

No comments: