Sunday, April 29, 2007

A lighter week, but more pack weight.

On Tuesday I had my final Chiropractor session (for now). So, I am pretty much straightened out, but I've been obviously running with a strange gait for weeks (maybe more), so my knee is 100% better but not perfect. My theory is that my pelvis twist and rotation has caused some tendonitis or ITB friction on my knee, and has been for a couple of months. The area is inflamed and is going to take a while to calm down. If I could afford to, I'd stop training, but I can't with La Trans Aqu only 5 weeks away. I'm certainly getting a lot less pain when I run, but I am still getting some. I've only had one ibuprofen this week total, versus the 1 or 2 after each session in previous weeks. I am however, partly as a precaution, icing my knee after every session regardless of how it feels. Fingers crossed this will keep things under control and see me through the training for and actual event itself in 5 weeks time.

So, Tuesday this week I had the chiropractor, and I took Wednesday off as an additional healing day. On Thursday I did a 10k mile off-road route, quite undulating; In fact very steep in places. It's is ascent and descent that gives more knee pain (classic symptoms), so I decided to try and plan more flat routes for the next few weeks. I ran the route as an interval session, 3 and a half minutes at 8:00 minute mile pace, 3 and half minutes recovery pace (10 min mile). I didn't use a backpack on this session, because of the faster pace I wanted to run. I was happy with the route and time, but iced my knee (slight pain) anyway.

On Friday I did my usual gym session. I have also been keeping up the routine in my training plan of 3 times a week doing a set of crunches and lifts; without going into too much detail basically building stomach muscles to help with the backpack weight. I am doing 40/45 of each type at least 3 times as week. I am also going a variety of stretches, including lunges (Chiropractor orders!), every day.

I decided to have a lighter weekend that last weeks 15 miles on Saturday and 15 miles on Sunday with full pack, because I want to store some strength for "The big one" next weekend (more information later).

On Saturday I did a 7 miles trail route in Swynnerton Old Forest.



I loaded my pack up with 7 kilos, the most I have carried so far. I should not be carrying more than that in La Trans Aqu I hope. It's a lovely forest with criss-crossing trails, some better than others. I picked a few lesser-used trails and got nettled and brambled for my efforts. So, my legs got ripped up a little but nothing some TCP didn't sort out later. I didn't run a 20 minute, and then 5 minute walk pattern as the distance was too short. I did take a 5 minute break/walk half way through to make some kit adjustments though. You can see some shots of the forest routes I was running through below.





Some of the less-used trails I ran were so bad/uneven that I had to slow to a walk, and in other places trees had blown down so I had a bit of a hold up navigating around. Although flat in places, I did tackle a few steep hills (no walking!). My knee held out pretty well, but again I iced it on my return home.

On Sunday I decided to pick as flat a route as possible for a 12 mile route. I also only intended to walk the whole way. I picked a 6 mile route along the Trent and Mersey canal. I'd assumed it was very flat, but in fact there was a 200ft descent, and 200ft ascent because of the canal locks. 200ft is nothing over 6 miles (one way) though. Once again I packed 7 kilos and set off. You can see some of the route below.



I walked for the first 6 miles to the turn-around point. I had averaged 3.9mph, so I was walking quite fast and using my trekking poles to increase the physical effort. I took an ibuprofen as my knee was sore, but not too painful. I had also used two of the Patt-straps (fabri-foam straps) I own to compress the problem tendons, in an attempt to reduce friction; one just above and one just below the knee cap. At the half way point, I had already made up my mind to run the return 6 miles to make it more of a challenge. It took me about an hour and 35 mins one way, and an hour and 10 mins on the way back. I noted my running speed with the heavier backpack at several times. I noticed than if I ran at 5.5 or 5.6mph I could manage it, but estimate that I would need a walking break after perhaps 30 mins. So, I slowed it down to about 5.2mph, did a 3x3 breathing pattern (3 strides whilst breathing in, 3 strides whilst breathing out), and found that I could maintain that pace for as long as I required. So, I ran the return leg non-stop. Amazing the difference 0.3 of mile per hour can make? Also, at this slightly slower speed, I was bending my knee joint less as the stride was shorter. This irritated my knee less, which is good news. I completed the session in 2:45 mins, returned home and iced the knee again.

I'm happy with this week’s effort with the 7 kilo pack, even though I have done less mileage than last week. As mentioned earlier, this is because next Sunday will be the 1 month to go marker for La Trans Aqu. On that day I intend to cover a distance equal to the distance I must cover for the longest day in the event in France, which is roughly 35 miles!

Now, I have never run or walked 35 miles before. The marathon is the longest I have ever done at 26.2mph. So, new territory next week. However, the La Trans Aqu rules allow for you to finish that stage at a average of 3mph for the total distance (there are other cut-offs at checkpoints though). I need a confidence booster next week. I don't want to try and run it and end up with worse injury. I just need to know that I can cover the 35 miles in the time allowed. So, I intend to walk the route at a pace of 3.6 - 3.8 mph, so comfortably within the Trans Aqu allowed limit of 3mph. I am once again following a canal for much of the route, passing through Stoke-on-Trent towards Leek and then following the Staffordshire Way footpath and River Dane, through Alton (as in Alton Towers theme park) and then onto the town of Uttoxeter. Once I leave the canal, there are some short sharp steep hills, but I am confident I can keep up the required pace. Assuming I do, it should take me a little under 10 hours for the distance. Who knows, if I feel great after 30 miles I might try a little jog, but don't bank on it!

I will no doubt be too shattered to post an update next Sunday, so expect to hear of my big training session on Monday instead (7th May).

I've bought another pair of New Balance 1100 MDs trainers to break in a little for La Trans Aqu. I've done 180 miles in my current pair, so they are probably good for another month to six weeks, but it's always worth getting the next pair started I think.

Until next week.

No comments: